FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon or Fujinon in HPX500 package deal?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niklas Wikman
Canon or Fujinon in HPX500 package deal?
on Apr 22, 2008 at 12:46:27 pm

It's looks like it's gonna be an AJ-HPX500 as our new gear, when our Betacam SP goes into retirement (but will stay on consult basis :-))

Now, there are some packages offered for the HPX500, with a Canon or Fujunon HD lens, together with 4 16 GB P2 cards.

Now, which lens would you have choosen? The Canon or the Fujinon? Canon is somewhat cheaper. On our Beta gear there's an Angenieux, so we have no (p)references at all. I've read some tests on the web that the Fujinon HD lens breathes quite a lot. I guess that the Canon does too, given it's price range. (And no, we do not have the money to put up twice the camera price for a real HD lens).

Any thoughts are much welcome!

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
Re: Canon or Fujinon in HPX500 package deal?
on Apr 22, 2008 at 1:07:40 pm

Niklas,

I am having the same thoughts Canon or Fujinon... My old Sony M7 had a Fuji and my newer Sony DXC35 has a Canon.. Our Canon is the better lens, but it is also about 15 years newer, so you would expect improvement....

We are getting the HPX500 also, so which lens Fujinon, Canon or none,,,( just use my old SD lens.). I like what I have read about CAC, it makes sense.. I know I want a wide lens with a 2x extender.... But what brand???? Over on DVXuser.com they have had a BIG discussion on using SD lenses on the HPX500.. But I can just hear the client "is that an HD Lens"

And with a couple more jobs I would like to invest in the Lettus 35 adapter for the HPX500 which takes different lenses.....

So, what is the average self employed video shooter to do????

(in an iffy - depressed economy)

Return to posts index

jeff wilmes
on Apr 22, 2008 at 2:22:32 pm

Hey guys,

I had the same dilemma, but took my SD lens, Canon J14aX8.5, off the Beta SP, took it with me to where I bought the 500 and had their engineer look at the lens on the camera I was purchasing. It's a 14 yr old lens and he said it looked better than alot of the "HD" lens' he'd seen. I currently don't have the money to spend on a lens and will continue to use this lens until I notice any problems. I don't usually have clients breathing down my neck however as I shoot mainly documentaries, but if the lens checks out, it shouldn't matter if it's "HD" or not. (but that's my opinion)

I also read all the threads on dvx.user so that helped me make the decision to test the lens. Hope it helps, but test your lens and you'll have the easy answer.

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Apr 22, 2008 at 4:59:13 pm

Sure one way is to keep our old Angeneux and put it on the HPX500, since both the Sony and the HPX500 are 2/3".

But the Angenieux is no more than 14x, is about 15+ years old, has a very tired zoom servo which also makes a LOT of noise... so we do think that either the Canon or Fujinon HD lens will be better than our current lens.

But sure enough, we might not go HD at all now, but DVCPro50 16:9 shooting SD. There might even be a very good SD lens out there? But then again... which one? We can spend about EUR 11.000 for a kit with camera body, 4x16GB, VF and a lens.

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Apr 22, 2008 at 7:19:21 pm

If you can manage it, I would try to avoid buying a kit with four 16 GB cards. Lately, it seems that most kits do not discount their P2 cards very much, so it would be better to simply buy two 32 GB cards for roughly the same price as the four 16s. Then you'll have two free slots to add more 32GB cards when they become cheaper, OR 64 GB cards when they start shipping in the Fall.

Just food for thought....

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Apr 23, 2008 at 4:14:12 am

I have the Canon KJ16e x7.7B KRSD lens (without 2x extender) and while I'm pretty happy with it, I will say that it breathes a lot.

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]