FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with transfer 1080i 24p from P2 to final cut

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cushny
Problem with transfer 1080i 24p from P2 to final cut
on Apr 18, 2008 at 5:12:39 am

I'm using Final Cut Pro 6.0.3 to log and transfer footage from a p2 card. the footage was shot in 1080i 24p (not 24pa). when I view the clip in quicktime after transferring it, the clip has a format of 1080p and 29.97. I can see the pull-down cadence when I jog the frames because the interlaced frames are clearly visible.

the FCP manual indicates that the proper way to deal with this footage is to process it in Cinema tools and do a reverse telecine, then conform to 23.98. I am familiar with the process from working in SD with the HVX100, however when I load the 1080P 24P from the P2 card into Cinema Tools, the reverse telecine and confrom buttons are greyed out and can not be selected.

Has anyone had success transferring 1080i 24p footage from the hvx200 P2 card to FCP?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Problem with transfer 1080i 24p from P2 to final cut
on Apr 18, 2008 at 7:02:47 pm

With the clip open in CT, click on the analysis tab. What does it say for frame rate?

Return to posts index

Mike Cushny
on Apr 18, 2008 at 9:10:07 pm

Thanks Jeremy,

The analysis tab in CT indicates that the frame rate is 29.97 and the compressor is DVCPro HD 1080p30. I spoke to the Tech support at Apple regarding the issue and he was stumped.

For comparison I imported the clip using Premiere Pro CS3 3.2.0, and it loaded no problem and indicates a frame rate of 29.97 (24p) it plays with no interlacing artifacts and looks clean.

The Raylight tool from DVfilm seems to work, but I have to take that output into CT and run the reverse telecine & conform, making it a 2 step process.

Since the client has already chosen the selects, I have decided to take the select clips from the bad FCP log and transfer and process them in After Effects, which can remove the pull-down and set the conform to 23.976. My concern now is that the audio tracks are getting mixed in the AFX conversion, and I would like to keep them as separate mono tracks, so it is back to the boards!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 18, 2008 at 11:16:41 pm

AS a test, reimport one of the clips and make sure to go to your log and transfer prefs and turn off the option to remove pulldown.

Take that out to CT and try again.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 18, 2008 at 10:49:22 pm

I explain this step by step on my HVX200 dvd. Also you can get the gist here:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/film_digital_video_cinema_tools.html

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Mike Cushny
on Apr 19, 2008 at 4:03:15 pm

Jeremy - thanks for the suggestion of the Preferences setting in log and transfer, it is one of the workarounds listed in the FCP manual, when I tried it , the footage looked the same as before, still interlaced and still the wrong frame rate.

Noah - Cinema tools is awesome, I've used it on many projects to remove the pull-down and conform to 23.98, however there is some bug with the QT wrapper that log and transfer is putting on the file, so that when I attempt to bring it into CT all the options for processing the clip are greyed out. This was the focus of my conversation with the tech at Apple.

the one workaround that did seem to work was to process the raw P@ folder with Raylight, which gave me a good QT wrapper of 10801 29.97, then I could take that clip into CT and do the reverse telecine and conform to 23.98.

It seems that I will have to make this transfer a 3 step precess no matter which combination I try. FYI, Most people have suggested that this bug could have been avoided if we had set the camera to record in 1080i 24PA.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]