FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please share your P2 horror stories

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Monette
Please share your P2 horror stories
on Apr 18, 2008 at 12:42:05 am

We're thinking of going the P2 route and we're pretty confident that it is the way we will go, but I would like to know what the worst is that could happen. I like the security of having a shot tape that is deep backup, but even that is isn't perfect. Does anyone have any stories to share of stuff that has gone wrong and how we can avoid making the same errors?

Thanks

Chris

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Please share your P2 horror stories
on Apr 18, 2008 at 2:07:18 am

Is that really a serious question? For every "horror" story you might get I can present 10 success stories- the same as with any successful camera. Trust me this is a solid camera to get and P2 is at this point a proven technology in use all over the world. But as with any car you can kick the tires until they go flat if that's what you really want.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Apr 21, 2008 at 10:29:44 pm

[Noah Kadner] "Is that really a serious question? For every "horror" story you might get I can present 10 success stories- the same as with any successful camera."

Agreed. I've found that most P2 problems are caused by loss of data due to confusion or inadequate redundancy. It's an IT workflow (data files as opposed to tape) so some thinking about your methodology is probably well-advised before you simply flip a switch one day and switch from tape, but P2 is pretty well wrung out at this point...I'd consider it proven.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

CPO, Digieffects

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Apr 18, 2008 at 2:43:44 am

P2 is not a tape based work flow. You will make mistakes, You will learn.

P2 is fast, clean and I am really enjoying it. It has been 4 months since I jumped in. It is a lot to learn because the HVX200 has a lot of options to share. I am purchasing the HPX500 very soon for our "More" corporate clients....

And I am already salivating over the NAB announced Varicam P2 3700... That has to be One sweet machine...

Read, read, google and google... I am averaging 2 to 3 hours a night since last December trying to learn all things P2 -HD..

But if you prefer, I will sell you my Betacam Sp/ Dvcam - Sony DXC35wsl... so you can have tape... :-)

PS: Google CMOS, search for Barry Greens article...

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Apr 19, 2008 at 4:00:43 am

Chris:

P2 is one of the best workflows I have ever seen. My only suggestion is make sure you have at least two copies of your files as you offload and shoot. Having one set of drives makes me nervous.

I have shot around 2,500 P2 cards worth of material with nary a glitch. The system is as reliable as you are. If you screw up and do something stupid like not transfer your lastclip.txt file or only have one drive it crashes, that's your fault, not the P2 format's fault, right?

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Vincent Becquiot
on Apr 20, 2008 at 2:27:16 am

Keep it simple. I used to use different software to transfer files, but I've seen issues come up over time. Copy the files to a hard disk (not move), rename the folder to match the scene, duplicate to a second drive. Then use the P2 formating utility to format your card. There's also P2 Genie which does seem to be reliable, I'm currently testing that option.

Vince

Return to posts index

Wade Harrington
on Apr 20, 2008 at 9:51:11 pm

P2Forge is great! It verifies data and give an extra piece of mind. http://www.lightstir.com/p2forge/

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci
on Apr 21, 2008 at 2:37:19 pm

I've been using the P2 for 2 years, never had a glitch. I have dunked my cards in a glass of water, tossed it across rooms. They still work.

As everybody stated earlier, you need to understand the workflow and you will be fine. As a steadicam operator I love being able to shoot and preview full rez to a laptop with out even offloading the cards. No more carrying dv decks and wireless transmitters to see if the shot is in focus or how the framing ended up in a low rez proxy.

move over with confidence.

Emre
http://www.productionpit.com
Boxx Tech PC, dual-dual AMD 2.0,4BG ram,Avid Media Composer HD w/Mojo,UVW-1800,DSR-25, Adobe Premium CS3.Gspeed ES.Steadicam Clipper 2 OP/Owner.

"Creative cow is udder madness."

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Apr 21, 2008 at 8:04:45 pm

Emre,

What Version of Steadycam do you have.. I am thinking of investing in Steadycam or Glidecam

or some sort of camera stabalizer...

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci
on Apr 21, 2008 at 8:29:47 pm

Hi Nate,

I have a steadicam clipper 2 and a steadicam flyer (which is up for sale currently). If you are going to choose between a glidecam or a steadicam I would hands down recommend steadicam products. I have tried almost all brands,steadicam,glidecam,sachtler,basoon,movecam,varizoom....etc. Steadicam has the best engineered and innovative products out there. Sachtler is my second best favorite and it goes downhill from there.

If you are thinking of becoming a steadicam Op I would also recommend:

-Doing a workshop (Rockport Maine has the best). Or contact Peter Abraham from steadicam for 3 day workshops.
-Picking the right size rig to service your particular gigs.
-Giving yourself 6-8 months to get the hang of it.
-Practice, practice ,practice...

Cheers,

Emre
Boxx Tech PC, dual-dual AMD 2.0,4BG ram,Avid Media Composer HD w/Mojo,UVW-1800,DSR-25, Adobe Premium CS3.Gspeed ES.Steadicam Clipper 2 OP/Owner.

Return to posts index

Vincent Becquiot
on Apr 21, 2008 at 8:53:20 pm

You didn't mention "strong arms"...

Vince

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci
on Apr 21, 2008 at 9:55:24 pm

The only time I needed "strong arms" was to deal with clients that are 30 days overdue. :O)

Emre

Return to posts index

Greg Koronowicz
on Mar 17, 2009 at 2:53:51 am

The first time I directly used the P2 system was the worst time.
I've heard people losing data before and it certainly seems it's a confusion of workflow and data maintenance...as was my misadventure.

I come in to my edit bay and receive 2 cards from the shoot crew that's been working all morning.
I copy both cards to the HDD. I check the footage and it's all there. Being that it was my first time doing this and importing into FCP, I had to figure out how to import the footage. I downloaded all the proper codecs and procedures. I was importing in FCP and for some reason I was having audio issues.

I decided to wipe my clips off the canvas window and delete them and start over...not knowing that if you DELETE in the import window of Log and Transfer, it DELETES THE MASTER FILE TOO! I lost all the footage. The DP had already re-formated the cards and that footage was lost too.

I started to do recovery with Data Rescue 2 but had no luck from the cards. I kept getting files with the .gz extension and whenever I tried to open a .gz file, a new one would emerge. It was a never ending cycle.

I kept Data Rescue working for the next 14 hours trying to recover files from our RAID but by that time the crew re-shot.

Download your cards to at least 2 HDD's. Keep one as a backup and then use the other one as your source material.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]