FORUMS: list search recent posts

smear effect

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerret Warner
smear effect
on Apr 16, 2008 at 4:22:06 pm

I want to shoot a time lapse scene in which people appear to leave trace images as they move quickly through the frame. I can't find a setting on the HVX-200 that will allow me to do it. Does anyone know of a FCP plug-in that will?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: smear effect
on Apr 16, 2008 at 5:10:32 pm

Increase your shutter speed, turn off any gain and add more light if needed.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Rennie Klymyk
on Apr 17, 2008 at 7:50:45 am

Hey Noah, wouldn't you need to drag the shutter as slow as you could, 1/15th. if possible to get the trace images AND undercrank to get the fast action? I would expect if you were using 1/15th. sec shutter speed you could not undercrank below 18 fps.

If you do it in post you should lock the camera down so the people are the only moving things to be ghosted with the effect.

"everything is broken" ......Bob Dylan

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on Apr 17, 2008 at 7:57:10 pm

I would try to get this effect in post, as it would be much easier to experiment and get the exact look you want. As stated above, it is essential that this is a lock off shot, so the only thing that would "smear" is the people moving. i believe motion has an effect called "posturize time" that would get this effect for you. "Trails" is the built in effect in FCP, although its not as good as motion.

But, if you DO want to achieve in the camera, as Rennie stated, I think you would want to slow the shutter waaayy down, and undercrank to get the fast action.

Good luck!

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 18, 2008 at 11:15:55 pm

Yes my bad- I thought you said you *didn't* want to see smearing.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook

Return to posts index

Rennie Klymyk
on Apr 19, 2008 at 12:00:48 am

figured you must have been nabbing when you really needed to be napping. I knew if you were standing behind a camera you would have nailed that one easily enough!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 19, 2008 at 12:38:50 am

Haw- it's not easy being everywhere at once.

Noah

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on Apr 21, 2008 at 10:49:09 am

Thanks, everyone, but I see only how to lower shutter speed to 1/24. How can I get it to 1/15?

Gerret

Return to posts index

Rennie Klymyk
on Apr 21, 2008 at 6:14:57 pm

You must be set for 24P_ frame rate. In video mode you need to use 30 or 60 to get to 15' on the shutter speed.

You should probably shoot this in "Film mode" where you have more control of shutter/frame rate effects. In film mode the shutter speed is indicated by shutter angle. The wider the angle the "slower" the speed or the more the film "frame" is exposed to the light or scene. On film cameras this effects color temp as well but I don't know that it will be a problem with video. I haven't experimented with this yet. This will effect your exposure so use the iris or ND filters to compensate or as was already mentioned, adjust the lighting on the set to compensate.

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on Apr 22, 2008 at 1:44:08 am

Yes, I shoot in 24P, and I've used the 1/24 shutter, but it doesn't achieve the effect I'm looking for. I'd like to leave trace images of subjects moving quickly through the frame.

Matt's suggestion to do it in Motion seems logical but I haven't yet found "posterize time."

I'll keep poking around for an answer.

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on Apr 22, 2008 at 3:43:13 pm

Look under EFFECTS->TIME. Try some of those, and see if they work for you.

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]