FORUMS: list search recent posts

artifacts with HPX 2000

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Wilcox
artifacts with HPX 2000
on Apr 14, 2008 at 11:19:51 pm

We're just starting to shoot more with our 2000 and I noticed some artifacts on material we shot with the film gamma 3. This example is straight off the card so its not been color corrected in any way. I did bump up levels a bit so the artifacts are plainly visible. its posted here. Particularly visible in the monitor screen. Are these just the "noisy blacks" or something else we have not set up well on the camera, or some camera problem? When I grade the shot most of this kind of stuff gets graded down, but it sure seems like we shouldn't be seeing this stuff for + 26K.

Return to posts index

Jim Wilcox
Re: artifacts with HPX 2000
on Apr 14, 2008 at 11:45:25 pm

Not sure why that link is not passing thru, but the image is here.

http://www.ibexcom.com/file/exp_2000.zip

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on Apr 15, 2008 at 1:56:57 pm

I have seen this same thing with our 2000, and I'm not sure we have totally corrected the problem. One thing is that we now shoot everything at -3db, that seems tohelp a little. Also I went into the menus and did some tweaking with the pedestal levels and gamma levels. I will be doing more this afternoon, in fact. I fyou would like, I can send you or post my scene file when I get everything tweaked out the way our shooter likes. I will be making a bunch of presets, for SD and HD, for interview shooting and manufacturing facility type shooting. You can really tweak the detail, sharpness, knee levels and such to really get a good looking picture with this camera, and I think that as I adjust some of the stuff, those artifacts will start to go away.

Also, check with your panasonic rep, we had to bring our camera in, and they replaced the processing board inside the camera because of a bad solder joint, and they replaced the viewfinder feed wire inside the camera as well.

I'll post back when I have some scene files for you.

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

Jim Wilcox
on Apr 15, 2008 at 3:49:04 pm

Matt,

Thanks for the scene file offer. That would be great. We're shooting everything at -3db too when we can too (habit from our last Sony camera that really performed well and allowed us max DOF as well as we could). This is actually our 3rd 2000 the first had dead pixels that could not be mapped out, the second had a dead P2 slot, so I would hate to think this is another service issue!

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on Apr 15, 2008 at 3:57:04 pm

Wow, you have got some bad luck with them! From my understanding, the bad board and VF cable was only in early units, so chances are since you've had your rotated out (twice!) you probably have a newer undated version. But it couldn't hurt to check the serial number with your rep to make sure.

I just have to bang out several dvd's for a client, grab some lunch and then I'll be in the studio all afternoon with the shooter working out scenarios and setups. My dealer is letting me borrow the big CCU unit (AJ-RC10G) for the camera, so that should be fun! Its got an sd card slot in it to save all your settings there as well. Pretty cool.

I'll post more after I've got some stuff saved, probably be tomorrow.

Cheers!

matt

Return to posts index

Keng Hong, Tang
on Apr 16, 2008 at 4:23:14 am

Hi Matt,
I will be interested in your settings as well, please keep me posted as well, Thanks.

Cheers,
KH

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on Apr 18, 2008 at 4:17:52 pm

Okay, all I got was one setting for now, Its a 720DVCproHD 30P for interviews. Blacks smusheda little, detail cranked down a little.

DISCLAIMER- I am not a professional video engineer. I came to these settings by the technical practice called "futzing", or button pushing and knob turning. I make no claims about what this will do to your camera, or what you think these settings will make your video look like. I am totally open to thoughts suggestions and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

Okay, done with that. Just make sure that you make a scene file for your settings before loading mine, so you can go back to your own stuff if you don't like mine. That being said, i would love to build a library of setting files that people could look at and download, or upload theirs to share.I might look into making a simple gallery website for that if there is enough interest.

Here is the link to my FTP site. Unzip the folder and copy it to your SD card. there is only one setting file in here, and I only had one file on the card, so I'm not sure how you load more than one file setting onto the card. Let me know what you think!

Allright, now for the fun. just click

http://75.144.38.214/

to go to the Creative Images FTP site. Login with this info

username- creativecow
password- moo

Return to posts index

Jim Wilcox
on Apr 18, 2008 at 9:56:57 pm

matt,

I'll give this scene file a go when I get a chance. I think its a really interesting idea to set up an exchange/discussion group around set up.

Thanks for sharing...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]