FORUMS: list search recent posts

Loss of quality with Lens Adapter?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scotty D
Loss of quality with Lens Adapter?
on Apr 9, 2008 at 6:03:34 pm

Hi All,

The company I work for has decided to go ahead and purchase an HVX200.

they are also looking at lens adapters.

And interesting point was made by one DP that they talked to, and he said that with a lens adapter, ie. Red Rock Micro, Brevis, etc. That you cannot shoot true 1080 HD.

So I emailed the Red Rock Micro tech guys and they responded that there is no loss of 1080 HD quality.

Has anyone heard of this before, any yays or nays as to whether this is true or not?

Scott

--------------------

check my stuff out at http://scottkdouglas.com

Return to posts index

Rainer wirth
Re: Loss of quality with Lens Adapter?
on Apr 9, 2008 at 6:24:38 pm

Hi Scott,

first of all the HVX 200 has a 1/3 inch chip and a built in optical lens. Si If you compare this with let's say the pana 2100 or 3000 - you can't. But the camera goes with a reasonable prize. For that prize the cam is a bargain. Technically it does a full HD (1080). If you use a wideangle adapter (there are two, 0.6 and 0.75) you loose sharpness. On a total shot you'll see it, if you know how a picture shot with a proper wideangle and 2/3 inch chip looks like. It depends, what you are up to. But you still get technically speaking a 1080HD.

Rainer

Return to posts index

Scotty D
on Apr 9, 2008 at 6:34:27 pm

Hey Rainer,

Thanks for the info about the wideangle lens. My main question is in regards to lens adapters that allow 35mm SLR lens to be used with the HVX200 or the lens adapters that allow us to use PL Mount lenses.

Scott

--------------------

check my stuff out at http://scottkdouglas.com

Return to posts index

Rainer wirth
on Apr 9, 2008 at 6:50:36 pm

sorry, I have no experience in this.

good luck

Rainer

P.S. the best results and true HD pictures I've experiences are Digi primes on a 2100

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 9, 2008 at 8:05:09 pm

[Scotty D] "And interesting point was made by one DP that they talked to, and he said that with a lens adapter, ie. Red Rock Micro, Brevis, etc. That you cannot shoot true 1080 HD. "

I'd like to hear the reasoning behind that. You will lose LIGHT and depth of field, but not frame size.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Apr 9, 2008 at 9:15:56 pm

I shoot 1080 all of the time with my HVX and Letus Extreme package. It looks great and clients are thrilled with the look.

Not quite sure what the reasoning is there.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Rennie Klymyk
on Apr 9, 2008 at 10:27:39 pm

[Scotty D] "And interesting point was made by one DP that they talked to, and he said that with a lens adapter, ie. Red Rock Micro, Brevis, etc. That you cannot shoot true 1080 HD.
"

Sounds like the film snobbery that grew out of the emergence of HD video production. Many DP's said in the early stages "HD video will never replace film" "I'll never use it". However budgets, instant gratification and other advantages have most of them now doing so themselves. This sounds like the "my camera is better than your camera" replacement rant. (and his camera probably is better too)

35mm still camera lenses are manufactured to higher resolving tolerances than 6X6mm zeiss lenses or 4"X5" and 8"X10" lenses because they have to be. In all cases it is the film grain that becomes an issue before resolving power. The lenses are good enough for HD as long as you use good primes and stay away from cheap zooms. With the dof tools the HVX200 is focusing in macro mode on an image projected onto a ground glass or a spinning disc and it is the 35mm lens that is capturing the real world imagery so yes there is some witchcraft at play here. The thing is the camera still records HD and the results are compelling as has been evidenced over the last several years. The line that separates "true HD" from not- is a grainy line with lots of dof.

"everything is broken" ......Bob Dylan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]