FORUMS: list search recent posts

Praise for Panasonic!!!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Gerard
Praise for Panasonic!!!
on Apr 4, 2008 at 5:32:28 pm

1) Had a pixel freak out on my HPX2000 about 2 months ago, did the black balance trick, and it wiped it out. It came back yesterday, camera is going out on a shoot on monday. Black balance reset didn't work. I called my reseller ( who is not known for fast response times) and about 10 min later, Rick the panasonic tech called me and walked me though fixing it. really nice guy, was very efficient and told me what to do and more importantly explained what I was doing to the camera. I have a feeling he got me into some menus that I'm not supposed to know about ;-)

2) Finally updated my PASS registration and uploaded my service history, (it all works on a mac now!!) and it told me I needed a firmware update. While the camera was updating (30 minutes for a 32 meg update file!?!?!) I saw the notice about improved disk hosting, so after it was done I dug out my trusty g-mini drive, 160 gig portable drive. Plugged it into the camera after I shot some 720P60 footage outside, turned on the USB host mode, formatted the drive and started transferring footage to the drive, boy that works slick. Best part? I can finally name the partitions from the camera so they show up as something useful, not just NO NAME on my desktop. Only gripe is that you can only do it after you transfer, would be nice to have a preset name with a incremental counter. Maybe in the next firmware update?

Anyway, thought I'd post some good experiences that I had.

Matt the P2 Rat

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

Jim Wilcox
Re: Praise for Panasonic!!!
on Apr 4, 2008 at 6:24:36 pm

So, what did you do to the camera? We received our first 2000 in December with a dead pixel and sent it back to our reseller for replacement because the BB did not map it out.

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
Re: Praise for Panasonic!!!
on Apr 4, 2008 at 7:33:36 pm

First thing he had me do is to hold the BB switch for 8 seconds, and it goes through a "black shading reset". I think it said B-SHADE ACTIVE on the screen. He said that should take care of most dead pixels, but he thinks that there were 2 dead pixels with in the same block on the CCD, so sometimes the compensator gets confused and needs to be "retaught" where the dead ones are.

Well, in my case that didn't work, so then he got me into the secret "service Menus", and I cleared out the matrix that stores the information about all the dead pixels (it even has a built in backup register to save the current settings to in case you really screw something up) , then did the B-SHADE thing and it worked like a charm . In my case, the pixel wasn't really dead per se, but it would go black when the picture was dark, but when the shot was brighter than maybe 50% it would freak and go full bore bright, especially if there was some saturated color there. You could also go into the matrix and select individual colors and kill them one by one if the B-SHADE didn't take care of it.

Probably said more than I'm supposed to, might have some panasonic goons following me around now!!

Matt the P2 Rat

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]