FORUMS: list search recent posts

Difference between User file & Scene file?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Ganz
Difference between User file & Scene file?
on Mar 14, 2008 at 8:47:54 pm

Hi all,
I've always wondered this and haven't been able to find an answer.
I'm currently a DV student using the school's cameras (DVX & HVX).
Since the cameras pass through so many hands, as a matter of habit the first thing I do when I get a cam is to init the user & scene files.
I'm about to start on my first project with the HVX & am planning to save my settings to an SD card to make set-up easier.
So, I'm wondering what data are stored on the scene file vs. the user file.
Also, speaking of SD cards, I'm wondering what is the lowest capacity (i.e. cheapest) card I can get away with using.
Consider that I will need to save only one set-up for this project.
Thanks in advance.
-Dennis

Return to posts index

Bob Seabold
Re: Difference between User file & Scene file?
on Mar 14, 2008 at 10:26:06 pm

Scene files are everything that effects the look like detail/chroma/masterped/gamma etc in addition to the frame rate/operation type(film cam(shutter angle vs video cam(shutter speed).

User files include display stuff/recording format pretty much everything that's not in the scene file.

If you save a scene file and a user file to an SD card pop the card out and stick it in a computer and check out the text files...then you will see exactly what is included in the scene and user files...

you can use small sd cards...I just bought several 256mb cards from radio shack for 5.99 apiece.

User and scene files are just text files...so very tiny...probably around 300k.

Bob Seabold

Return to posts index

Dennis Ganz
on Mar 14, 2008 at 11:10:29 pm

Thank you very much for the reply Bob.
I had a feeling the answer to the user/scene file question would be something like that.
I just got back from Staples, where the smallest capacity SD cards they had were 1GB.
I bought one for $12.98.
Apparently much more capacity than I need, but I'll just rationalize it by telling myself it's a better value per MB than the ones you got at Radio Shack. ;-)
Thanks again.
Very glad I found this forum - I've already learned so much here in just a couple of hours.
-Dennis

Return to posts index

Bob Seabold
on Mar 14, 2008 at 11:41:29 pm

It was funny trying to get the small ones at radio shack as they tried very hard to upsell...even when I told them that 256mb was 255mb more than I would be using!

One thing about user and scene files that isn't very obvious is that you can put 4 scene file sets(each having 6 scene files per set, f1, f2 etc) and 4 user files on one card.

Bob Seabold

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]