FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Workflow 1080/24pa with Xsan mulit-user

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Horn
P2 Workflow 1080/24pa with Xsan mulit-user
on Mar 11, 2008 at 5:41:18 am

Ok so here is the plan.

In the field: Shoot 1080 24pa with HVX200. DL cards in the field to a bus powered firewire 400 drive via Powerbook.

At the office: Transfer the sorted field files direct to Xsan use the field HD as archive and shelve it. Use the Log and Transfer method to rewrap the files to QT. (Not renaming at this point as this has already posed a problem with names being too long and crashing the whole process)

Now I want to be able to access all the project files via Ethernet.

I will for sure be using a separate network drive to hold the project files...

My workflow question is will networked users be able to edit with the QT's in the natively captured DVCProHD 1080 24pA with the advance pull down removal utilized over gigibit ethernet?

If the answer is NO way. Then what is the best offline/online scenario to capture at 1080, edit over ethernet, online on xsan, and deliver HDCamSR?

If I ingest the media to the xsan via FCP Log and transfer capturing native (DVCProHD 1080), then use media manager to offline the clips to a lower rez jpeg or other, what happens to the original QT HD media? Does FCP replace it? Or duplicate the project...so I have two projects, one in HD and one in SD? Then what is the process to "online" the media? Do I need the original P2 files or will the rewrapped QT's be there? After I online back to HD will I only have access to the clips that were actually used in the final timeline? Or will it just create a new timeline with the proper HD settings?

Also I am mastering to HDCamSR. Would the best online setting be uncompressed HD? Or will the native DVCProHD suffice?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: P2 Workflow 1080/24pa with Xsan mulit-user
on Mar 12, 2008 at 8:02:06 am

This should work fine via XSAN. I can get 4 streams of 720p, you should be able to get at least 2 streams. I can get 3 streams sharing an eSATA drive on two machines.

Work in native DVCPRO HD, then output directly to HDCAM SR via a capture card like the Kona 3. I do this all the time with my 720p footage. Except I output 720p to 1080p to HDCAM...the Kona 3 cross converts on the fly.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD now for sale!
http://www.LFHD.net
Read my blog!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]