FORUMS: list search recent posts

is it possible to share a P2CMS database?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Healey
is it possible to share a P2CMS database?
on Mar 7, 2008 at 9:06:46 pm

Hi there!

is there any way to share a P2CM database between multiple users across a network?

I created a database with clips on a network drive and it worked fine but I was unable to access it from P2CMS on a different computer. I assume P2CMS stores some of the database info locally since i couldn't open the .db file.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

john

Return to posts index

thomas scheffer
Re: is it possible to share a P2CMS database?
on Mar 9, 2008 at 6:50:43 pm

maybe only a small workaround. you could duplicate the .db file naming it with different names.

best regards
thomas

Return to posts index

Chris Clephane
Re: is it possible to share a P2CMS database?
on Mar 10, 2008 at 7:26:41 pm

QUICK NETWORK OVERVIEW:
FYI- The user machine that creates the files and transfers them to the network share is always the "owner". (In most networking situations there are 3 sets of permissions to consider OWNER, GROUP, EVERYONE)
By default in OSX only the owner can fully read/edit/modify, etc. the files.
This default set of permissions is set by your machine governed by the associated UID.

Simple explanation:
From our experience, if you are not the OWNER of the files created and the DB, you cannot access them.

There is no hidden DB file we are aware of....everything seems to go into the P2CMS folder when you create the DB during transfer.

Your network setup and UID's have more to do with this than anything. We still have occasional difficulties "networking" P2 footage. The P2CMS software does not seem to recognize GROUP privileges, it only seems to acknowledge OWNER privs.

We have some workarounds, but they only work in a fully administered Workgroup...and even then we are still having occasional bugs/issues with permissions and flags.

As many have noticed, changing permissions on P2 data is a nightmare due to the locked mxf/xml/etc. files in the multiple P2 subdirectories. It requires command line unix knowledge to unset/reset flags and ripple permissions correctly. Not fun.

I doubt the P2CMs software was designed to be networked. It seems happier in a single-machine single-user scenario. P2 usage (in general) seems happiest in a Single-user single-machine scenario.
Thoughts/replies Jan?

-C

I edit video. I post sometimes.
I fix things. I eat marshmallows.
I play drums. I drink scotch.
I like TV.

Done typing now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]