FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrading NLE to handle P2 Workflow

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Healey
Upgrading NLE to handle P2 Workflow
on Feb 26, 2008 at 10:31:50 pm

Hey folks - I bought a new HVX-200 back in December and been happy with it since. I'm still getting use to the camera and work flow right now. In the meantime, I'm looking at migrating from my current Discreet edit system to a P2 friendly NLE that I can finish in HD & SD.

The NLE has got to be fast, offer real time accelerated effects/transitions, 2 or more alpha channels for text/cg with real time f/x capabilities and be able to export a variety of video, multi-media and web based codecs. ie MOV, MPEG-1 & 2, WMV, etc.

It's got to be able to do everything Edit* can do and I'd really like it to have a similar GUI look and feel. I know I have high hopes. I have clients and creative directors over my shoulder all day barking out demands and the system has to be able to offer the speed, flexibility and creativity we have now. 90% of the work we do here is :30 spot work for broacast and theaters. Can this be done w/o investing rediculously and being cost prohibitive for my small to mid-size market base??

The system needs to be HD ready but still edit in SD. None of the broadcasters here have HD spot playback capability and won't for a few years. I need to be able to shoot SD/HD and be able to edit SD/HD. Can it be done on the same system?

I've been talking to my vendor in Dallas who sold me my first Edit system back in 1999 and they tell me to look into the Matrox AXIO HD and AXIO LE. Reading reviews and brochures just doesn't cut it. Before I start setting up demos I need input from you guys who are shooting and cutting everyday under normal chaos, and demanding situations.

I jumped into the world of non-liner back in '99 w/o doing enough homework and the result was Discreet going DOA on my major investment. The system still hums and chugs and makes money every day. But I need to migrate to a P2 friendly environment to get the most out of my HVX and P2 workflow. Capturing out of the HVX via component I/O on the Edit system is depressing at best.

Please feel free to offer up sugeestions, ideas, feedback on what you're using, have used, etc, as it relates to P2 editing and workflow. Brutal honesty is what I'm looking for here. Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Upgrading NLE to handle P2 Workflow
on Feb 27, 2008 at 3:42:43 am

I'm a big fan of Final Cut Pro as it is well supported with the P2 workflow but that means you have to go Mac. I believe on the PC side you have Edius and also Adobe Premiere along with a needed 3rd party component. Also Avid handles P2 on the PC side to the best of my knowledge. There's also Sony Vegas when used with DVfilm.com's Raylight component. PS not to knock em but I'd stick with AJA or BlackMagic rather than Matrox for an outboard monitoring solution. Just better supported.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the HD Survival Guide!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Lawrence Young
on Feb 27, 2008 at 3:28:22 pm

I also work with the HVX, and have been happy with it.

I use AVID Media Composer and FCP - both of which handle P2 just fine.

For GFX, I think it is probably a toss up - though I tend to lean towards the AVID. One thing that will allow you to do what you want with Alpha's and real time is to have a good Sata raid (4 way strip will work best) - this applies to HD, for SD and mutiple channels the Sata Raid will scream!

Lawrence S. Young
Best Shot Productions
Maine•New York•Colombia
421 Paradise Road
PO Box 110
Bethel, ME 04217
Home: 207-824-3119
Cell: 508-494-3111
Email: lsyoung@megalink.net
Adjunct Professor New Media, University of Maine at Orono
Link to work: http://my.media-match.com/lawrence.young1

Return to posts index

Mike Healey
on Feb 28, 2008 at 3:27:38 am

Thanks guys! This is a good start and just what I need to be hearing to keep informed and try to make a decision. Please keep the input coming!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]