FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reconstruction of MXFs

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michele Clay
Reconstruction of MXFs
on Feb 13, 2008 at 2:48:12 pm

Here's the skinny:

My HVX200 P2 Dailies were accidentally deleted off of my harddrive.
(Please no lectures about backing up files, it was not possible.)
I sequestered the external harddrive and used Data Rescue II to recover the deleted BMP & MXF files. However, they appear to be incomplete. The sound clips are there but the video clips are just black video. (I have another call out to them to see if there is anything else they can suggest.)

I ran the recovery on a iMac G5 that only has FCP Express loaded on it. I am using Raylight for MAC to view the recovered MXF clips in Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 on my PowerPC G5 OS X ver. 10.4.11 at work. The latter system is where I have been editing the HD show. Here's the questions:

1. Is there a program that will retrieve MXF & XML files, or the P2 Contents Folders, intact other than Data Rescue II?

2. When I view the recovered clips in FCP, the compressor defaults to DV/DVCPRO - NTSC. The footage was shot at DVCPRO HD 1080i60. How do I change the the default compressor so the clips will import in at the correct codec? I have already tried creating a new project and made all the preferences HD 1080i, but the clips still import at DV/DVCPRO-NTSC.

This is a great case study you guys.
I hope someone has some suggestions.

Thanks for the responses!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Reconstruction of MXFs
on Feb 13, 2008 at 4:55:32 pm

Hate to say it- but data recovery is dicey on video files because they are huge and need to be perfectly resequenced to be salvageable. A budget recovery program like Data Rescue is probably not going to cut it. If this is irreplaceable footage I'd send the hard drive to Drivesavers. It will probably cost a couple grand to recover but it will be a lot more likely to be playable.

http://www.drivesavers.com/

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the HD Survival Guide!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Feb 13, 2008 at 5:14:14 pm

To add to what Noah said, think about how much it would cost and how long it would take for Drivesavers to maybe or maybe not recover the data, versus the cost & time to reshoot, which is much more certain to give you usable footage.

I went through this exact scenario when a flash card jockey accidentally formatted the wrong P2 card. We wound up reshooting.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

Michele Clay
on Feb 14, 2008 at 3:04:39 am

Here's the irony,
it would be cheater to reshoot
My Data Rescue guy says as long as the items I am trying to recovery are not over 10 gb,
there may be hope
I'll let you know how it turns out next week

Again thanks for the response
(and for not preaching at me)

~M!

Return to posts index

Michele Clay
on Feb 14, 2008 at 2:58:36 am

thanks for the tip.
(and for not preaching at me :-)

Return to posts index