FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shoot 1080 directly to hard drive?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edo Medicks
Shoot 1080 directly to hard drive?
on Feb 13, 2008 at 7:17:39 am

Hi all,
our company is moving to P2 from sony HDV.
We do documentary style shooting mostly, as we are documenting the largest construction project in history.
a typical session will last a few hours, and so, getting lots of P2 cards would cost us quite a bit.
we are looking for other storage solutions, and so far, i have found two types; field card readers with a built in Hd, or FireStore like devices that capture on firewire.
does anyone know if the firestore can capture 1080? the spec mentions only 720, and data rates predicts that its impossible on firewire.
another option (and the one i would like to find) is some sort of PCMCIA 32-bit to SATA 1.5 adapter, like this: http://www.cooldrives.com/moseata2poca.html
connected to some sort of Hd. anyone know if i can shoot directly to Hd using such adapter? seed a Hard drive pack designed for this?
thanks in advance
Edo

The cup is half full and my shirt is half wet

Return to posts index

David Perry
Re: Shoot 1080 directly to hard drive?
on Feb 13, 2008 at 4:53:01 pm

Hi,

A couple of ideas. You can get a CITIDISK from Shining Technologies. It will record 1080i in DVC Pro HD. Just make sure you copy and paste the files and don't drag them to your storage HD. They are a little less than a Firestore and mount on top of the camera. You get almost 2 hours of HD recording time. There was another system Cineporter but I don't think it ever was released.

I don't believe you can go directly to any other HD. You can use FW to a Mac Book Pro and get a dual E-Sata adapter from FIRMTEK. You can then go directly from FCP to the HD at really fast speeds. It is more cumbersome, of course.

FYI, I have a HD mobile truck if you need three HVX-200 cameras to a live switch. Makes it all fast and easy on remote pan/tilt

Good luck.

David Perry
Carmen Productions

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Feb 13, 2008 at 5:31:14 pm

David,

With your three camera HVX200 setup, How are you getting to the switcher. What are your run lengths. What switcher did you buy? What is your master program (switcher out) HD recorder?Sounds like a great set up.. On your remote pan-tilt heads have you been able to get the 'presets' to work??

Return to posts index

David Perry
on Feb 13, 2008 at 7:36:30 pm

Hello,

i am running HD component out of each camera head to a Gefen component Extender. This is connected to a 300 ft. shielded CAT5 to the Panasonic AG-300 HD switcher with a component board. I can bring in 5 cameras max. Then out the SDI to the AJA IO HD which goes into my Mac Pro quad and record to the Firmtek SATA raid.

The pan/tilt system is an "inexpensive" (around $3,500.00) system by Grizzly Pro (http://www.grizzlypro.com). The great thing is they are now completing a new system that gives focus, iris and zoom controll along with Pan/Tilt for the HVX-200. It only has SD composite with it to view the cameras. However, if you ISO each camera with Citidisk or Firestore you get a 3 camera HD product. I choose to live switch to save time in post and be able to offer a live to DVD product for sale at the end of the program. With ISO of each camera you can go back if there is a mistake in the switch.

The AJA IO HD allows real time down conversion to DVD while maintaining a Pro Res 422 to Final Cut Pro. I can also travel with it without the truck.

David Perry
Carmen Productions

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Feb 13, 2008 at 7:44:33 pm

That sounds wonderful.. Are you having any problems with the Component connectors on the HVX200. I have read where the cables tend to fall off. Where it is easy to "loose" a camera in the middle of a shoot.

Return to posts index

Edo Medicks
on Feb 13, 2008 at 8:00:11 pm

are you sure Firewire is fast enough to carry dvcprohd 1080?
i think i saw some where it cant...
but what other field options are there to capture from p2 but FW or p2 cards?

The cup is half full and my shirt is half wet

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Feb 13, 2008 at 8:44:56 pm

I have it working great. 1080dvcpro HD over 32 feet of Granite Digital firewire to my MacBook pro to two mirrored 2.5"sata drives... Works like a charm..

Return to posts index

David Perry
on Feb 13, 2008 at 10:26:54 pm

I have been shooting in 1080i for a year. I just now recorded a clip on my Citidisk in 1080i and it is fine. Since FW carries 400 mb and DVC Pro HD is only 100mb I don't see where the problem is. But, I am not a tech person. Also, my AJA transfers 1080i 422 just fine over firewire.

David Perry
Carmen Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 14, 2008 at 4:06:04 am

[Edo Medicks] "are you sure Firewire is fast enough to carry dvcprohd 1080?"

Most definitely. 720p60 and 1080i29.97 are both 100mbps. Same bandwidth.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Perry
on Feb 13, 2008 at 8:02:01 pm

Yes, they could be better. i is advisable to use tape. That is also why I ISO each camera and have someone in the room on a headset to fix anything that goes wrong.

David Perry

David Perry
Carmen Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]