FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I manually set color temp on HPX500?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Thomas
Can I manually set color temp on HPX500?
on Jan 31, 2008 at 7:57:59 pm

When shooting, I'll always set white balance. But is there a way to manually set the color temp to a number I want? i.e. White balance setting gives me 3.0k, but I want 3.8k. Can I do this thru the menu system somewhere?

Coming from a Sony D30, I know other ways I can change my color temp; white balancing through grey filters or white balancing on a grey card, etc. But I figured with all the possible settings , that the 500 would have some simple way to change it? Heck, my cheapo $100 digital camera even has that feature!!

Thanks...

Bill

Return to posts index

Crow T Robot
Re: Can I manually set color temp on HPX500?
on Feb 1, 2008 at 2:50:05 pm

There are 2 memory positions on the white balance switch, A & B, in addition to the 'Preset' position.

In the scene file menu, you can adjust the color temperature from 0 (No change) to -7 (7 arbitrary steps warmer) or to +7 ( (7 arbitrary steps cooler) in increments of 1. This can be adjusted and stored for each of the A & B switch positions.

You do have to use the white balance momentary switch to change the baseline balance for each of the A & B settings.

When you do a white balance, the color temperature is displayed in the viewfinder in degrees kelvin.

Unlike any camera I have used in the past, there is no filter wheel for 3200, 5600 etc. only an ND wheel with 4 positions (1-None, 2, 3, 4) (I don't recall the exact densities, probably equivalent to .3 .6 .9 on the 2, 3, and 4 positions respectively)

You cannot dial in a Kelvin temperature.

The preset switch can be set to either 3200 or 5600 K.

Once your white balance is set, it is very easy to pop into the scene file menu, and warm or cool the image on the fly.

-scott

Return to posts index

Bill Thomas
Re: Can I manually set color temp on HPX500?
on Feb 1, 2008 at 6:47:04 pm

Thanks a million Scott! That helps out quite a bit.

Bill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]