FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange FLV play back issue

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Curran
Strange FLV play back issue
on Sep 18, 2014 at 5:00:39 pm

HI all,

I would be really grateful if anyone could shed some light on a strange problem I seem to be having with Video(.FLV) playback on my flash site

I have always had some issues with the video component playback on my site; it might be a bit slow to load in or stop mid-way to buffer, so I always try to compensate by compressing the file size as much as possible using media encoder. A few weeks ago however I added a new video: 'Help Me To Stay Compositing Breakdown’ to the post-production section of my showreel and expected it to work at least as well as the other videos, but It did not. It works perfectly well locally on my computer, but when I upload it to Godaddy, the video takes at least two minutes before it even appears on the stage, by this time I’m sure a visitor has given up and left. The video file in question is the same format as the other videos on the site, but is in fact smaller in size than most of them.

I would be really grateful for any input or suggestions.

Thanks a lot,

Return to posts index

Sam Mattern
Re: Strange FLV play back issue
on Sep 19, 2014 at 1:03:39 pm
Last Edited By Sam Mattern on Sep 19, 2014 at 1:05:11 pm

How are these videos being loaded? Are they all part of the library or are they housed in a folder on the server and loaded as they're called?

I notice is that the preloader on your page doesn't appear to be doing anything. I've had the same thing happen to me and it took me a while to figure out exactly how to make it work correctly. Basically your page comes up and you think it's loaded, but it continues to load items in the background in the order that they appear on the stage. It can cause symptom you're experiencing.

On a personal note, and I speak from painful experience here, ditch GoDaddy. 1&1 is only a smidge better, but I had to leave them, too. Half of the problems you'll end up having are because of some weird configuration they have on the server so that they can host 1,000 people on it.

I'm on shared hosting with HostGator and can't say enough great things about them. They're a little bit more than GD and 1&1 but you won't spend hours trying to fix your code only to find out it's actually some obscure configuration that GD has on the servers that they can't change for you. As I said, I speak from painful experience.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved