FORUMS: list search recent posts

Use png image as alpha mask in Flash CS5???

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Hibbett
Use png image as alpha mask in Flash CS5???
on Jan 6, 2014 at 12:52:51 pm

Hi. I am having a heck of a time with this one. I have a cube, similar to a rubix cube, that has squares separated by grid-like lines. I am trying to use a png image of the cube with alpha channel set on the gridlines and only the squares showing in the image.

But when I convert it to a mask layer, the entire pixel range of the image turns into a mask, basically just one big square.

I have created masks using the shape tool, in the past, but this time I need to be very precise along the lines and drawing by hand is not an option, really.

Can someone please tell me how to do this task, which should be SUPER simple and I find totally ridiculous that I could not find a mention of it, at all, in the online help or in the first ten search engine pages that I clicked. I would feel somewhat foolish asking this question if I wasn't so sure that Flash is being a fussypuss over such a simple thing, that of reading alpha channel AS ALPHA.

I figured this the best site to ask any Adobe related question, as it has always been good to me before. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Sam Mattern
Re: Use png image as alpha mask in Flash CS5???
on Jan 8, 2014 at 4:19:13 pm

I'm not sure I am properly visualizing what you're trying to accomplish. Are you creating a mask for each square of the rubix cube which is the same size as the colored square? If so, you may need to create a layer for each small mask and then put each square on it's own layer below it (sq1-mask > sq1 > sq2-mask > sq2, etc). Meaning if your png mask is 10x10 pixels, you can't have 9 of those on the same layer and try to use that as a mask; a mask layer needs to be one item. I think I ran into that once and it's a bit of a pain.

Can you maybe link to some pictures of your stage so we can see it?

Thanks,

Sam

-Sam

Return to posts index

Matthew Hibbett
Re: Use png image as alpha mask in Flash CS5???
on Jan 8, 2014 at 7:14:10 pm

Hi. Thanks, I actually figured it out, I was waiting for my thread to get approved, I wasn't able to cancel or close it. I just ended up doing the magic wand route, it is a relatively "fine' enough work around. Just removed the already alpha'd area to make it....alpha...again.

I think you misunderstood me, anyway. I had a rubix cube type object with squares separated by gridlines (originally black, then made alpha)But flash only saw it as one flat image, didnt recognize the grid. So the mask created with it displayed the masked layer over the gridlines, meaning you couldnt even tell that they were there, just looked like one unshaped flat surface.. With the grid recognized, finally, you are able to tell that it is a cube and not a plane.

Thanks for the effort, though, appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]