FORUMS: list search recent posts

No sound from external audio files

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
douglas morlock
No sound from external audio files
on Mar 8, 2013 at 5:07:12 pm

Hi there..

Well, I designed my music website in 2008 in After Effects & then had my friend who knows Flash really well design the frame I guess you could say to house my short looped movies/pages & buttons, links, ect. Everything worked great. The sound files (mp3) were put in the same folder and were pulled in (linked) externally to reduce file size. I took the website down around 2011 planning to update and re-launch but never did until now. The problem I'm having is that my sound files played once and then after the .swf was updated never played again and for the life of me, cannot figure out why? I wasted 2 days trying many things with no luck. I even tried all of the many extra copies I made of the website in case the original got corrupted and they all (6 of them) show the same behavior. Strange. The sound plays once and then never again. It was great before as I could just update the sound file in the folder and bam.. it would play. Also.. the reason I don't add the music to the movie in AF is because the movie is shorter and I just have it looped in Flash to keep the size down while the song plays at full length separately within Flash. I now have resorted to manually placing the sound directly in the timeline(soundbank)in Flash and that does work but my.swf is huge! Where before it was acceptable and even with today's internet speeds would be even better. So I'm starting to wonder if this has something to do with today's "Flash Player"? I have tried publishing out to my more recent version of Flash player with no luck as well. What could have changed? Again.. I saved out about 6 copies of the Flash site to various HD's for back-up and they all worked great but now none play my external sounds which again are all in the same folder. Any help would be so much appreciated and sorry for the long rant. Just stumped & frustrated as I need to get my site up.

Thanks so much!
Doug

Return to posts index

douglas morlock
Re: No sound from external audio files
on Mar 9, 2013 at 2:48:40 pm

Well.. I just opened another back up of my website and this time saved one of the .swf's to the desktop. It plays great. Then I opened my FLA to test and when it updated the .swf it now no longer plays? This happens on all my pages. I then deleted the updated .swf and put back the old .swf and all is good again. The problem is I have created all new FLV's I really need to update my website and get it up. Any thoughts as to what's going on?

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on Mar 9, 2013 at 8:50:58 pm

speculating here:

the old ones work, but new ones in a newer version of Flash don't?

do the new ones actually compile without errors???

which version of Flash are you using? what was the old version?

AS3 ??

Return to posts index

douglas morlock
on Mar 9, 2013 at 11:35:22 pm

AS2 & I'm on the same version (CS4) which is very strange. Nothing was changed in the original .FLA document. Again.. I could play the original .swf fine right from the project folder but once I opened it in the FLA and tested movie there was no more sound. The new .swf had no sound even when trying to play it from the project folder like it did pryor to testing from inside the FLA. But yet I could paste the old non-updated original .swf that I copied to my desktop back in the project folder and replace the updated version and it would play fine again. But again.. if I opened it in the .FLA and tested it.. the sound is gone for good. Very strange. This same behavior happens with all 6 of my copies of the original website which worked great 1 year ago. What has changed? Something on the flash player end to where my code needs updating? Don't know what else it could be.

Here is some of the code that controls the sound I believe. The mp3's may not be pulled in externally but I'm not a code person so please excuse this. Either way.. all I want to do is what I could do before. Have my mp3's play right from the project folder and not have to place them directly in the timeline which has made my .swf's huge for some reason. Went from an 8 meg file to 30 meg! Yikes! Thanks so much again in advance!

frame 1.

midframe = 27;

stop();

//Loader code

this.onEnterFrame = function() {

var amount:Number = this.getBytesLoaded() / this.getBytesTotal() * 100;

loader._xscale = amount;

loadText.text = Math.round(amount) + "%";

if (amount == 100) {

this.gotoAndPlay (3);

delete this.onEnterFrame;

}

}

frame 3.

homeTrack=new Sound(this);

homeTrack.attachSound("midnightInMadrid");

homeTrack.setVolume(100);

homeTrack.start(0,999);

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on Mar 10, 2013 at 1:28:14 pm

hi,

i don't work in AS2, so i can't offer any coding advice. hopefully someone else can and will jump into the conversation.

2 thoughts:

- in general, when people have problems with something that worked before and now doesn't,and swear nothing has changed, well, usually something has changed to break the functioning of the project. you say you are carrying over the folders with files. are you sure everything is there? are the sound files in the same relative path as found on the server? any addditional files used ( XML etc) that might be missing or in different relative paths ?

- you say you updated the file? so what updates? what changed? they key probably lies there....

- depending on how complicated your project is, it might be easier to just rebuild it. when someone comes to me to troubleshoot thier project, i find that it can often be much easier for me to rebuild it rather than go through their ucommented code line by line. if you do choose to rebuild it, consider doing it in AS3. this could give you a chance and reason to get up to speed with current practice(s).

if you do choose to rebuild with AS3, i'd be glad to help you along the way.

sorry this didn't directly help out

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]