FORUMS: list search recent posts

.flv-stutter hell!

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Øivind Jensen
.flv-stutter hell!
on Aug 3, 2012 at 6:24:58 am

I've been struggling with stutters in my online .flv-videos. I have also been struggling finding an answer despite posting on various video editing forums for some six months now. Maybe successful stutter free flv-encoding is a secret within the community?

After reading a selection of articles and posts on this topic, I realize that low bitrate is key to stutter free playback. I have now succeeded reducing the file size to 3741 KB with a data rate of 921 kbps. However, the online .flv-video is still stuttering!

Most of the times the movie will play back without stutter locally, however the stuttering starts when attempting playback of the same file from the server.

Another thing that really has me scratching my head is that the stutters appear erratically. That is, my videos are set up to replay automatically. The first playback may stutter, and then the next one will not stutter at all. The stutters also appear at different stages throughout the video. There is no obvious pattern and neither do file size seem to affect this behavior at all.

The video file in question:

Data on the video file:

Format: .flv (H.264)
Frame rate: 30fps
Data rate: 921 kbps
Total bitrate: 921 kbps (no audio)

One of the most useful articles on the subject is «Avoiding judder in motion graphics» by Rick Gerard. He states that a lot of movement in the scene can produce judder, and the only way around it is adding motion blur and increasing frame rates. I have tried both methods, but still struggle with stuttering.

I have no ambitions becoming an engineer within the field of video-editing! I am simply looking for a well-documented way of safely encoding the videos for stutter free online playback. One should think that this knowledge is out there, although I haven’t had any luck so far…

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved