FORUMS: list search recent posts

Create online quiz/training - where to start?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graesen Arnoff
Create online quiz/training - where to start?
on Jun 20, 2012 at 4:55:42 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new here on Creative Cow, but use the resources here from time to time. I am now presented with a task at work in which I don't know where to even start looking, but Flash is what makes sense to me to get it done (hopefully there are other/better tools for the job). I work for a university assisting instructors, by the way.

The task:
Create online training - A couple of instructors would create Voice-over PowerPoints and/or videos teaching the material or demonstrating something. At specific periods of the material, review questions or practice exercises would be presented to the students (these questions wouldn't be graded, but need to be correct to move on). At the end of the material, there will be a quiz that covers all of the material from the PowerPoint and/or video, which will be graded. These trainings will be put in our online classes through Blackboard.

The video we plan to use we have to host on a third party streaming service (either Kaltura or ShareStream). Both of these services operate like youtube, the player detects your device and plays a version that meets your device's requirements and internet connection, and gets embeded using a code like youtube does. I doubt we can retain the interactivity of these trainings putting them into a streaming service, so whatever tool or flash project I am building needs to be able to have the videos and embedded.

My background.: I have background in video production. I will likely be producing the video portions of these trainings and will have to learn how to do these quiz sections as well. My Flash skills are very limited and I hadn't played with it since CS2 or CS3. I saw that earlier version of Flash had a quiz template, but no longer does.

Is Flash the best option for this? Where do I start in putting something like this together? Are there easy to use templates anywhere? Are there services that take some of the work out of this? Any help would be great, thanks.

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
Re: Create online quiz/training - where to start?
on Jun 22, 2012 at 11:38:37 am

It looks like you have a big learning task ahead. Flash is not a quick learn.

I'm not familiar with Blackboard, but does it not offer you the tools to build interactive courses and assessments ...?

Otherwise, you'll need a tool that integrates with your unit's Blackboard learning environment, so may need to work out what standards it supports for elearning, and find tools to suit.

There are quite a few to research and evaluate.

Posible tools include Toolbook, Articulate, Courselab ... but why not look into the Blackboard toolset first ..?

Return to posts index

Graesen Arnoff
Re: Create online quiz/training - where to start?
on Jun 25, 2012 at 1:45:44 pm

Thank you for your help. I looked at Articulate but have not tried it yet. I am also beginning to look at Captivate as well. I will look at Toolbook and Courselab soon - thank you. Blackboard does allow for the building of online courses, but doesn't quite meet the needs of this request. Now that I have some things to look at, this might not be so difficult.

However, I have been reading Flash CS4 and earlier had a quiz template. But this was removed from CS5 unless you purchase the elearning suite? I would have liked to give that a try as I have Adobe Design Premium on my machine here at work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved