FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting really small SWFs w/Bitmap Graphics

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Jenkins
Getting really small SWFs w/Bitmap Graphics
on Jun 13, 2012 at 11:53:31 pm

Long-time After Effects user, first time Flash user. I'm creating a 300x250 animated, 6 second ad banner. The SWF has to come in under 69KB. The first one I animated in After Effects and did a direct SWF export. It came out huge (as in MegaBytes). Then I figured out I could export an FLV from After Effects and bring that into Flash, then publish the SWF. That got me to 178KB, but the compression was pretty harsh.

I know there is a better way because the client sent me a sample that is well under the 69KB limit. So, I optimized all the images in Photoshop and learned how to animate in Flash, which I've never done before. That got a me a version that is 149KB. Flash appears to be creating a PNG for every frame of the animation. Any way around that?

I've spent a good 11 hours on this and frankly I'm baffled on how to get the file size down. I'm sure there is something that experienced Flash gurus know that I don't! SWF is here if you want to take a look: http://www.flowmotionmedia.com/ftp/misc/Good_Chevy_v3l.swf Any an all help greatly appreciated!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
Re: Getting really small SWFs w/Bitmap Graphics
on Jun 14, 2012 at 5:01:56 am

there is no magic bullet. you do have to optimize as much as possible.and test and try and test again.

if you rely more on flash, and not AE, and turn each element into a movieclip, the file size should go down a lot.

as a test, i did a 300 x 250 swf with the elements from your posted banner. the swf sizes i come up with are between 16.5 and 20.5 KB. you can see an example here ( this wasn't meant to be an exact reproduction, just something to get the gist of it....

the background image was an imported jpg. likewise the car, and the 'Good Chevrolet' sign. these were all turned into movieclips and then animated. the text " Turning the competition upside down' was created in Flash, with the text broken apart, and turned into a movieclip. text created in flash , rather than imported from another program, should be a lot smaller in file weight.

i did one test using only scripted tweens ( used greensock's TweenLite), with the putputted swf asat 20.5 KB ( TweenLite does add a few KB to the file), and i also did a timeline based animation using classic tweens. this file ( which is the one posted) came out to 16.2 KB.

i hope that helps

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jun 14, 2012 at 5:51:43 am

Demetri, thank you SO much! I'm going to dig into it again first thing in the morning and see what I can do with your advice.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jun 14, 2012 at 7:12:40 pm

I started from scratch in a new Flash project and I was able to get the SWF down to 39KB! Woohoo! Thanks again, Demetri! You were literally an answer to my prayers.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on Jun 15, 2012 at 12:35:43 pm

great. glad i could help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved