FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on using Flash in the future for Android VS. Air VS. Web Development

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kat hayes
Advice on using Flash in the future for Android VS. Air VS. Web Development
on Feb 23, 2012 at 6:39:18 am

First, I am not trolling and I see that other similar questions have been asked recently, though I am looking for specific info to meet the needs of our program (that is why I am posting this now).

We've been teaching Flash at a community college for many years. After Adobe stopped development of the Flash Player for browsers, I'm left wondering what the future of Flash in the web will be? Data shows that a majority of web browsing will take place from mobile devices over the next several years, and if you are not going to be able to view Flash web content in a browser from a mobile device, I am concerned about whether it makes sense to continue teaching Flash to students for web design/development. I know Flash can also be used for developing applications, Air, etc., and we do some of that currently, I'm just wondering how Adobe can expect developers to commit to the platform for web development without supporting mobile web browsers. Am I missing something? Do developers see this differently? I appreciate any insight from Flash developers or Adobe employees. FYI - I just did a similar analysis with our video editing program and asked similar questions in an Apple Final Cut Pro forum and we are moving away from Apple's Final Cut Pro after they changed direction with their latest release and we are now going to start teaching Adobe Premiere. Should we focus teaching Flash for Android and Air development and back off from using it for web development?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
Re: Advice on using Flash in the future for Android VS. Air VS. Web Development
on Mar 8, 2012 at 9:18:08 pm

Use the tools that fit the job. :)
Somewhat to my disappointment, we are seeing a huge increase in demand for HTML(5) and Javascript websites. In a lot of situations, a CSS/JS/HTML combination is getting extremely close/already on par with the performance Flash/Actionscript offers, with the added benefit that it is far more future-proof in regards to the mobile web.

When it comes to advanced techniques and applications, like for instance 3D and webcam applications, Flash is still the way to go, since a lot of browsers don't support these features yet (Opera Browser is working on an implementation of the webcam functionality of HTML5, but browsers like IE are nowhere near to supporting those as far as I know)

It definitely still makes sense to develop Flash applications, but only if you're planning to work for a high end advertising agency specializing in experience websites. :)

On the other hand, there's still a huge demand for Flash banners. Although we are seeing the first requests for HTML5 banners on that front as well. So timeline animators (be it in Flash or in Adobe Edge), are/will be highly sought after.

Kind regards,
Pieter

General notice: from now on, I would like to ask everyone to put [AS2] or [AS3] (corresponding to the version of actionscript you are using on your project) in front of their post titles when the question is actionscript related! Please help us help you faster. Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]