How would I go about using an external video in which the video would scrub (or move forward or rewind) when the user clicks on an object and drags the object left or right? I want to make a site in which the user has control over the movie, and when they choose left or right, the video will scrub to a certain cue point. wants it hits that cue point, the video will seek to another cue point and the story will continue. I want to make it so when the user clicks on the person, and drags them, it scrubs through the video as if the person is walking in a certain direction. I think I have the cue points set up properly, now to just figure out the rest. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
"It wouldn't be called a short cut if it were easy. It would simply be called the way."
i'll address one of your questions the way i understand it : using a custom image as a draggable scrubber for a video (flv).
this is an easy 'graphical approach using almost no coding :
1) use a FLVPlayback component for the video player ( Components -->Video-->FLVPlayback )
2) place a 'SeekBar' component on the stage ( Components -->Video-->SeekBar ). give it an instance name ( maybe 'seekB' ).
3) Size ( stretch) the SeekBar to the width you want.
4) From the Library, double click on the Seekbar to open that movieclip symbol.
5) delete the 'outline' layer
6) note that the mc symbol on the 'progress' layer has an instance name 'progress_mc'
7) go to the 2nd frame of the 'assets' layer. this is a movieclip symbol 'SeekBarHandle' which is the arrow image that is used for the scrub bar.
8) double click this symbol to enter it's timeline
9) create a new layer on top of 'layer 1' ( which is the graphic for the arrow ). place the image you want to use there, directly on top of and centered on the arrow graphic
10) return to the main time line
11) place this line of code in the actions panel: seekB.progress_mc.alpha=0;
that will cause your custom image ( a man walking ? ) to be the scrubbable image for the video playing.
of course, this image will travel along the now invisible seek bar as the video is playing.