FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scroll video with mouse: JPEG sequence or video codec?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nico Raulwing
Scroll video with mouse: JPEG sequence or video codec?
on Dec 3, 2011 at 11:55:21 am

Hi,

does anybody know what the best technique is to achieve the effect used on the vw new beetle site?
http://beetle.de/

I have tested this with a jpeg sequence which performs nicely but it takes some time to load the sequence.
Using a video codec would decrease the video file size drastically but flash struggles decoding the video...

Does anybody know how to achieve this effect remaining good picture quality and small file sizes?

Thank,
Nico

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
Re: Scroll video with mouse: JPEG sequence or video codec?
on Dec 5, 2011 at 2:01:32 pm

Nico,

re: " .. what the best technique is to achieve the effect ..."
i assume you mean the first part, the opening sequence of the car, and not the whole website.

re: "... how to achieve this effect remaining good picture quality and small file sizes?..."
do you feel they achieved this?

Their html5 page's opening car sequence is a series of 39 jpgs and a lot of javascript.

that being said, to do it exactly like that in flash is possible, but it would be impossible to guess the performance differences without one-to-one ( apples to apples ) tests. you suggest that the jpgs did not work great for you. were they optimized as fully as they could be? i saw the beetle site on a few machines - each pretty fast and with good connections - and they too took some time to load the site, and i felt the performance itself drag. i was not totally impressed as others seem to be.

of course keeping the page liquid and dynamic has its performance challenges, whatever method you go with. if i have time i'd like to play around with it a little myself. - but it wouldn't be that soon. tell us if you do further tests or create something with a similar method. i'll report back too what i find.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]