FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to loop in Flash CS5?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Garrad
How to loop in Flash CS5?
on Nov 21, 2011 at 12:52:42 pm

Hi all,

I'm a video editor and have no knowledge of Flash but my client has asked me to do a looping slideshow consisting of only 2 graphic banners for a website.

I have managed a dissolve from the first to the second graphic but how do I keep this going on a continuous loop (ie repeating with a dissolve back to the first image and so on)

Any help appreciated as I'm lost and not a coder!

Return to posts index

Owen Johnson
Re: How to loop in Flash CS5?
on Nov 21, 2011 at 2:31:12 pm

Firstly turn the picture into a Movieclip or Graphic by pressing f8 and naming it. Then in the timeline insert a keyframe by pressign f6 at the point you wish to start the fade out. Move to the point you wish to stop the fade and press f6 again. Now return to the first keyframe and reduce the 'Alpha' by going to Properties/Colour Effect/Alpha.

Repeat at the end to make it fade back out. You can add a picture underneath and fade one in and one out to make a smooth fade.

Flash is by no means as smooth at doing this sort of thing as video.

Hope that helps, Owen

Return to posts index

Tim Garrad
on Nov 22, 2011 at 9:47:13 am

Cheers Owen, that makes sense.

I have it sorted now but your right...Flash seems clunky like that, a preset fade would be nice!

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on Nov 22, 2011 at 1:22:02 am

or, you can do this all in code, and not via the timeline at all.

if the two banners are placed on top of each other, then you could sequentially tween/fade the alpha of the top one in/out to reveal/hide the image/banner under it.

you could of course use Flash's built in Tween Class, but since i am a big fan of GreenSock's TweenLite tweening engine, i would use that and take advantage of its delay and onComplete properties to work this fairly easily. below is some code that would make it work. if you need it explained further, just ask

(here the top 'banner' is a MovieClip symbol with an instance name of 'mc1' )
import gs.*; // use your pathway to your copy of greensock's class folder.

function tweenOut():void {, 2, {delay:4, alpha:0, onComplete:tweenIn});

function tweenIn():void {, 2, {delay:4, alpha:1, onComplete:tweenOut});

tweenOut(); // starts the sequence by calling the first function

this gives a smooth transition.
there are still many other ways you can accomplish this.
hope that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved