FORUMS: list search recent posts

Missing letters after punctuation when transferring from .xml to flash.

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Floersch
Missing letters after punctuation when transferring from .xml to flash.
on Oct 27, 2011 at 4:30:27 pm

I am having a bit of trouble with some code translating to flash from dreamweaver. I am working on a FB template and the person who wrote the code didn't think this issue was worth fixing apparently. :/ I am putting complete sentences into the main.xml that translates into flash but when I save and preview the file in flash I am missing the letter after most punctuations.

Here is the code I am just typing in text to:

<titlePage name="about">
<imagesPage>
<image imageUrl="images/tfile_about_pic_1.png" link="#"/>
</imagesPage>

<texts>
<pageText><![CDATA[Get To Know Us]]></pageText>
<pageText><![CDATA[The name Vanguard Homes is the perfect fit. "Vanguard" means to be at the forefront of a movement or trend.<br><br>Vanguard Homes is a new company with a fresh vision, but that doesn't mean its leader is a novice to the industry. As Vice President in charge of construction at Saddletree and Symphony Homes, Mark Long has built nearly 1,000 homes in his thirteen year career. A native of Colorado, and a former military officer, Mark's role in the industry has always been customer focused. ]]></pageText>

</texts>

<pagePopup>
<popup>
<item name="title"><![CDATA[Read More]]></item>
<item name="linkText"><![CDATA[When seeking a name for his company, Mark Long wanted the name to clearly represent his vision. Mark's vision? Simple, yet bold: To provide new home buyers with superior homes, customer service, and simply greater value than what the local industry has ever offered before.<br><br>The name Vanguard Homes is the perfect fit. "Vanguard" means to be at the forefront of a movement or trend.<br>Vanguard Homes is a new company with a fresh vision, but that doesn't mean its leader is a novice to the industry. As Vice President in charge of construction at Saddletree and Symphony Homes, Mark Long has built nearly 1,000 homes in his thirteen year career. A native of Colorado, and a former military officer, Mark's role in the industry has always been customer focused.<br>Recently, as many semi-custom builders have slowed production, left Colorado Springs, or just dropped out of the business, Vanguard Homes is aggressively moving forward with fresh design ideas and the newest home technologies to enhance value.<br><br>E-MAIL: <a href="mailto:mail@DEMOLINK.ORG">INFO@DEMOLINK.ORG</a><br><br>]]></item>

</popup>
</pagePopup>
</titlePage>

And this is what the text looks like when it is previewed as a .swf file:

Also, there is no "Read More link" ?? Where does this bottom text code appear?

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
Re: Missing letters after punctuation when transferring from .xml to flash.
on Oct 30, 2011 at 8:40:23 pm

here is a img version of your code for others to see so they can help you ( or learn from this example..)
it would not appear in the post because of all the code tags

some possible reasons for your characters not showing up:

1) no XML declaration nor Text encoding decalred.
i took the liberty to add a XML declaration, defining the version and encoding. you need to make sure the parser is given this information. Text encoding mismatches can lead to character problems. I don't think this is the problem in your case, but make sure you do use this or similar declarataion in your XML file.

2) Missing characters are not embedded. it is possible that you need to make sure all your font characters needed are embedded. This is likely the culprit for the missing characters. It looks like most Uppercase characters, numerals, and apostrophe need to be embedded. Uppercase V and L seem to already be there.

i made a quick example of it here as a test. my example has 7 dynamic text fileds that will load the XML nodes as per what their names imply when you click on the 'load the XML' button.

i did get it to load properly, so i will assume that it really is a character embedding problem unless you can provide more information.

the 2 fields 'pageText2' ( which loads 'texts.pageText[1]' from your XML) and 'popUpText' ( which loads 'pagePopup.popup.item[1] from your XML) do of course need to be HTML text, or they could not read your tags inside. I do assume you have that correct, as the line breaks do show up in the image you supplied. i am saying this in case anybody else is wondering about that.

your other question:
is impossible to answer without seeing your AS. the name of the xml node makes us assume that they both appear as pop ups once something is done - something is rolled overed, clicked,etc. you will need to check in your AS code to see where/how that is triggered.

you are not asking about this, but in order to get the 'a href' tag to work, you need to make sure you are using the LINK method of the TextEvent class

i hope that helps you figure out where your problem(s) lie.

Return to posts index

Laura Floersch
on Oct 31, 2011 at 2:09:15 am

And how do I "embed the missing text" then? I am sorry I am new at as3 and was really hoping by buying a template that I wouldn't have to mess with their code just trade some pictures and text. WRONG AGAIN. The font is theirs and in their actual template the letters are missing too. :/

Also, as for: your other question:
is impossible to answer without seeing your AS. the name of the xml node makes us assume that they both appear as pop ups once something is done - something is rolled overed, clicked,etc. you will need to check in your AS code to see where/how that is triggered.

Can I show you my AS Code?

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on Oct 31, 2011 at 3:12:29 pm

what flash version are you working with? CS5 or 5.5?

what type of 'template' is it? FB = Flex / Flash Buider?
i am not clear on that, and that could make a difference

IF you are in CS5 or 5.5, and IF there is an actual textfield on the stage ( as opposed to created all in ActionScript), you can choose it, and in the properties panel look for Character, then Style. there should be an Embed button, which will let you embed the font and set or subset of the fonts characters you want and need.

for more info on font embedding:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flash/cs/using/WSb03e830bd6f770ee21a3597d124dae...

i generally shy away from dealing with other people's templates. if they've been paid for their work, they should be able to give basic support for their product. Plus, without knowing or seeing how their file(s) are set up, just seeing the code alone would not necessarily show where such things as your 'Read More' link/pop up would be located.

feel free though to post the code, so that i ( and hopefully others too ) can have a look.
no promises of course...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]