FORUMS: list search recent posts

xml driven flash not working on live site

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Johansen
xml driven flash not working on live site
on Aug 18, 2011 at 7:41:05 am

I'm not usually the type to ask for help from sites like these, I know that schedules are full. I also know that most questions you folks have to answer are nooby, and I'm sorry if the one I'm about to ask is. I've done a tremendous amount of searching and reading with no alternative but outside help.
I have downloaded numerous versions of free xml driven flash files, one I liked particularly was a ring menu here http://www.freeflashcomponents.net/flash-menus/ring-xml-menu.html

I've been inside these files to resize them effectively in cs5 previews, and in double clicking html files. I've seen them function correctly when I visit their direct links ie:http://mysite.com/folders/flash.swf
For some reason, when I implement these files, (numerous free xml driven menus and banner rotators) they appear to have loaded as far as the basic .swf, but I never get any xml driven output.
Again, this is only on my live site's header position. Right now I'm running a free xml driven flash file from this location: http://www.weberdesignlabs.com/blog/2008/06/open-source-xml-free-flash-bann...
on this site http://www.gamercollider.com

Any help is soooo appreciated!!!

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
Re: xml driven flash not working on live site
on Aug 22, 2011 at 9:38:21 pm

I would really believe it to be a directory issue, and the relationship between the SWF, the XML and the XML driven content( the images).

you seemed to have palced your SWF 4 levels down from the html file. the banner creator placed his on the same level as the HTML file.

as an initial test, to make sure everything is working, replicate the directory relationship that Stephen ( the baneer roatator creator) laid out for you. that is, place the SWF and the XLM file in the same directory as the HTML file, and have the images in a folder caleld "img" within that directory level. it really should work then ( of course make sure the XML references the images in this file correctly ).

then If it does work, you know your culprit was a directroy/file referencing issue. if it still does not work, there are other issues at hand.

another approach to troubleshooting this is to test/ view the swf directly. if you access your swf directly from its directory ( http://www.gamercollider.com/templates/247clean/Header/XMLBanner.swf ), you will see that the images still do not show up. once again, that does suggest a direcory issue or conflict.

so, check how the images are being referenced within your XML file. stick to keeping them in a folder in the same level as the XML, SWF and HTML.

good luck, and let us know what you find out.

Return to posts index

Bryan Johansen
on Aug 23, 2011 at 3:59:56 am

Demetri, I really appreciate such a quick reply. Thank you.
I reverted to the Ring menu I liked so much. (http://www.flashcomponents.net/component/ring_xml_menu.html)

I edited the index.php file to reflect that, and I have the flash working when you navigate to the .swf directly- http://www.gamercollider.com/templates/247clean/preview.swf . I still don't get any xml driven content in my header, though. I've read several posts on similar issues, and I'm almost sure it's a pathing issue. Possibly in the .fla file in the AS, but obviously I have no clue.

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on Aug 23, 2011 at 1:05:39 pm

yeah, i would be sure it is a path issue too. really try to replicate and keep the same paths and relationships as per the original sample file(s).

you have to at least consider and double check these relationships:

• The SWF as referenced by the HTML

• THe XML file as referenced by the SWF

• The images as referenced by the XML

• if you can not get into the FLA to look at how the XML is referenced in the outputted SWF, then you certainly must use the same directory paths as per the original sample file(s).

hope this gets you closer to what you want to acheive!

Return to posts index

Bryan Johansen
    on Aug 23, 2011 at 9:01:10 pm

I was hoping that I would fix the issue by replicating the original file structure. I have experimented in moving the files around before I posted in this thread, that's why it was so easy for me to revert to a point where the .swf was viewable by navigating directly to it's location. I switched to the XML_Banner.swf only because I figured if I could diagnose the problem in a more simple file, I could use that cure on any xml driven flash file in the future. I thought I had done this with the ring menu.

There are three action frames in the .fla-
    http://www.gamercollider.com/templates/247clean/ring_AS.txt
    This one is rather long, and I don't think the problem lies in it, but I converted it to a text file for easy viewing in case I'm wrong. The important bit, I figure is here in the second action frame:

var projectsNode = new XML();
    var interfaceNode = new XML();
    var backgroundNode = new XML();
    var xmlPath = swfRoot + "xml_files/projects.xml";
    var xmlPath2 = swfRoot + "xml_files/interfaces.xml";
    var xmlPath3 = swfRoot + "xml_files/backgrounds.xml";
    continueOn3 = function ()
    {
    root.play();
    };
    continueOn2 = function ()
    {
    handleXML(backgroundNode, xmlPath3, continueOn3);
    };
    continueOn = function ()
    {
    handleXML(interfaceNode, xmlPath2, continueOn2);
    };
    handleXML(projectsNode, xmlPath, continueOn);
    stop ();

The third action frame is just a begin and stop variable for the movie.

My website is a mambo cms site, don't know if that matters or not...
    My css is good
    #yourImage{
    position : absolute;
    top : 0px;
    right : 10px;
    z-index : 101;
    ...and my html seems correct (keeps trying to embed on this site)
    http://www.gamercollider.com/templates/247clean/htmlcode.txt

I don't know if it matters, but I did add the preview.swf to my templatedetails.xml file. What the heck should I try next?? Am I missing a whole possible problem that could be in the .js file? I know less than zero about javascript.. :(

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
    on Aug 24, 2011 at 3:32:12 am

i think you should take a few steps back and go back to basics.

by this , i mean, look at the project from the beginning point of adding the XML banner. i once again did a simple test - i just took the sample files for the original XML banner you said you liked, and dropped it into your HTML file.

this sample file does works correctly, so we know the HTML - SWF relationship is fine, the SWF-XML relationship is fine, and the XML-images relationship is fine.
    you can check out that test here.

so i suggest you do something similar. take those sample files, which are known to work, and drop them into your html. they should work ( if not, something else is seriously wrong...)

once satisfied everything works, you can drop in your new files(SWF, XML, images etc) but make sure to follow the same directory paths as used in the sample files. now your new files should be working too.

i don't know mambo, but if you are using a templated CMS ( like Wordpress...), you must be careful with the directories that they place the SWF in. you might need to not rely on their automatic upload, and manually place your SWF, XML files, and image folder on the server directly.
    hope that helps

Return to posts index

Bryan Johansen
    on Aug 24, 2011 at 7:56:14 pm

OK. I deleted the other xmlf/flash combo, all it's assets, and went back to the simple one. I placed the contents of the "open source xml banner" folder into the same directory you told me before http://www.gamercollider.com/templates/247clean
    I used this code in my "yourimagehere" div in the index.php file
    code 1

Again (and also with the other xml/flash combo I deleted) this produces a working file at it's source http://www.gamercollider.com/templates/247clean/XML_Banner.swf (which works on all 3 major browsers), and no xml output on my header.

When I used the author's code from his published html file code 2 (which includes the javascript bit) in my index.php file it causes both flash files on my page to stop displaying in firefox and google chrome, and a black box displaying "movie not loaded" on right click for IE8.

Does it make a difference that my index file is .php suffix and not .html? I viewed the source on your test page, and it looks exactly like what the author published. What object code variation did you use in your test file?

BTW I do almost all my uploads via ftp.

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
    on Aug 27, 2011 at 12:18:00 am

hi bryan,

- using your own ftp client is best in my opinion
    - php/html shouldn't make a difference
    - i used the same object code as per his sample file

i'd be glad to take a look at your file if you want. let me know

Return to posts index

Bryan Johansen
    on Aug 27, 2011 at 5:11:41 am

Absolutely!
    http://www.gamercollider.com/templates/247clean/indexcssxml.rar

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
    on Aug 31, 2011 at 9:25:28 pm

hi bryan,
    sorry it took me a little longer to respond to this.

the file itself has several unrealted issues that must be addressed first. i presume these were due to 'copy and paste' errors. there were duplicate 'body'opening and closing tags as well as a dupe closing 'head' tag and 'html' tag. ( see lines 40(/head), 41(body), 80(/body), 81(/html). correct those first.

i could have a lot more to say, but first i also want you to try out this attached file and swap it out for your other file and let me know if it works. i can discuss it further once i know if it will work as expected on your server.

2879_index.php.zip

Return to posts index

Bryan Johansen
    on Sep 4, 2011 at 7:27:07 am

Demetri, thank you for bothering to reply at all. I wouldn't dare to consider you had taken too long to volunteer your time to a person you don't even know. Unfortunately, the index file you gave me doesn't work any better than the one I had before. Same black box, stating "movie not loaded" on right click, same working file at it's source. Viewable at my site.

Return to posts index

Bryan Johansen
    on Sep 19, 2011 at 8:41:02 am

Still no ideas?

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
    on Sep 19, 2011 at 2:19:31 pm

hey bryan,
    sorry i got sidetracked away from this. i do remember giving it another look and being convinced it still was a path issue compounded by your CMS

if you want to experiment further, you can download this zipped folder, which contains a swf, an xml file, web files ( both an html and a php file ) and a folder of images.

its all quite simple, as it is best to keep it simple when troubleshooting. the swf though is populated with 4 different fields from the xml: 2 text fields, one list box, and one image ( once a list item is choosen). It will 'prove' that it can access all the nodes of the xml file, AND retrieve from inside an images folder.

you can see it in action here

and download the folder here

i suggest you upload all the files, along with the image folder, to your sever, placing them all in the same directory, and then try to access the web page. let me know if it shows up and accesses the xml correctly, so we can take it from there

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]