FORUMS: list search recent posts

ppt style presentation - planning

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Engelkemier
ppt style presentation - planning
on Aug 4, 2011 at 2:59:59 pm

I hardly know any flash, so this is going to be quite a task for me. After going through some basic training I can do some basic tasks easy enough, but before I go about this blindly I thought I'd ask you guys.

I'm totally unhappy with the animation tools in Powerpoint, who isn't right. I have to add videos and animation to presentations that are being laid out in Illustrator. So actually, keeping it as an Adobe product is ideal so there's less translation issues and I can keep things vector when available.

Of course my first thought was the presentation template. I can go from slide to slide with that without any problem.
My issue comes when trying to figure out how to use the same keys the template uses to move around, but to add elements of a slide.
I don't have a problem putting preset animations inside of a moviclip and then of course that plays fine.
I get problems though when trying to figure out how to animate that movieclip separate from the rest of the show.

So how do you plan that out in a rather efficient way? I could put each animation as a different movieclip, but then I have to duplicate each slide any time I want to do another action in it's current state. That seems rather inefficient. I'm trying to come up with a template I could use for each presentation later.

The best I can do right now is put the navigation in the timeline, put each animation inside of a movieclip, then have each one taking up one frame.

I'd like to do something more efficient though. Is there a way to maybe set some sort of cue point inside each movieclip and navigate to each cue point in order?
For instance, first movieclip has a simple fade in then stop(). Easy enough. Second movieclip has a fade in, then fades some body text in, then animates a graphic in. But I want those 3 things on a keypress.
I'm stumped on how to do that if it's inside of a movieclip.

Can I do something like, 'if current movie clip has Xvariable then keypresses effect movieclip navigation until end?'
Well, that's what I'd like to do, so it's easier to move things around whenever

Shoot, I was hoping this was going to be simple.

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
Re: ppt style presentation - planning
on Aug 31, 2011 at 9:41:17 pm

hi andy,

sorry i am just responding to this now.

flash can do a very nice job of either replacing PPT, or creating a PoewerPoint like presentation.

i recently put up a brief tutorial showing a few ways how this can be done.

youcan see it here

if you have questions, let me know

Return to posts index

Tyler Freeman
on Sep 7, 2011 at 1:20:27 am

Thanks! The post was very helpful, I struggle with Power Point and I find it easier to work in with Flash

Return to posts index

Andy Engelkemier
on Mar 14, 2012 at 2:23:43 pm

I have questions. ;)

Sorry, I just saw the reply now. Odd, I never got an email.

Have you tried this with a 1920x1200 size presentation with a few full size images? It seems in your example you're only using flash elements.

Then try adding something like shadows on the images.

I had 3 images that looked like polaroid pictures simply slid and rotate on the screen for one slide. It even choked slightly on my workstation. Any normal machine, it choked so hard it only played about 3fps. I got rid of the effect and built in the shadow to png's and replaced them and it didn't get any faster.

I really like that if you design the layout right, flash can fill the screen regardless of the screen's resolution, but it was just too slow to to do what we wanted.

If all of the elements are built in flash it seems fast enough, unless you use several effects at once, but as soon as I was using complex vector objects, or multiple raster objects larger than 500px or so it started to completely choke.

Many clients prefer to be able to print a slide here and there as well, and that's a bit more complex in flash.
I'll just live with PPT for now. Too bad it's animation capabilities are terrible, and it has no option to fill the screen. It's either wide screen or 3:4. I found 11x17 format is a happy size in between and prints well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]