FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where should I learn RIA, programming, design patterns?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Neumayer
Where should I learn RIA, programming, design patterns?
on Apr 28, 2011 at 5:46:10 pm

I'm interested in a more robust continued education in programming and design patterns for Flash--the things that I can't just 'google' like features or method usage.

I've checked with Ledet, but it's all just about how to turn the knobs and write short bursts of code. I've bought the books, even the ones that say "design patterns", and I'd like to be more successful applying them to real-world situations. I've checked with schools, but many are looking for full time students (Hi! come in and talk with our counselors..." "No, no, I've had my own business for 12 years. I just want a couple good classes!") 90% of the classes look like they'd be review (or easily researched).

Perhaps I'm just envisioning computer programming classes?! (I'm a self-taught AS programmer, with a BA in Fine Art). Will I need to move to C or Java to get the high-level OOP instruction? Is AS too specific of a language for this? I've been programming in Flash since AS2 and consider myself an intermediate coder. I'm familiar with creating classes for my projects, and usually run a small packages of helper classes for my projects, but I'd like to fill in some gaps in teaching my mind to (correctly and intuitively) think in terms of best patterns, UML, MVC, pureMVC, etc. I'd like to be able to outline a project in UML before starting coding.

Do you have any suggestions for instruction? I think I'm entering a "best practices" realm that's difficult to translate from book knowledge to successful large client projects.

Thanks for any input,
Greg

Antifreeze Design
http://www.antifreezedesign.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]