FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flash Videos Posting

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Weiner
Flash Videos Posting
on Mar 23, 2011 at 6:32:42 pm

I was on the Adobe Captivate 5 forum and someone told me to try posting other places, so that is what I'm doing...the issue that I'm having is this:

I am using Captivate 5 to build a Flash presentation with 18 videos (as a compiler). These 18 videos constitute about 2 hours of footage. At my current video encoding settings, I am creating streaming files with a video bitrate of 1000 kbps and audio at 128kbps = 1128kbps vbr. The Captivate settings seem to indicate that the files will be progressively downloaded.

As I know that the bitrate indicate connection speeds to streaming, if I'm uploading a presentation with around 1-1.5 GB of footage, is that going to slow down the load time on my presentation? Or is it more dependent on the progressive download/bitrate?

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: Flash Videos Posting
on Mar 23, 2011 at 8:32:42 pm

Whether a video is viewed via streaming vs progressive download isn't a factor of how it's encoded, it's a factor of where you are hosting the file. If you are hosting on a standard web server, it's progressive(such as YouTube). If it's being hosted on a streaming server, then it's streaming. That being said, when you encode the video specifically for streaming, you must enable the hinting feature. Not sure how Captivate handles encoding, but there should be a selection to turn hinting on. Progressive download video does not require hinting.

The 'load time', or buffer, is determined by a setting in the embedded Flash player. Not sure about how Captivate lets you adjust this, but there certainly must be a buffer setting option which defines the number of seconds of video that must be downloaded or streamed before playback will begin.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved