FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make film interactive?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Thompson
How to make film interactive?
on Mar 23, 2011 at 11:59:43 am

I'm an absolute rookie and have never used flash but am hoping that someone here has the know how to get me started.

The "problem": I've recently filmed a bunch of lectures and subsequently edited each lecture in final cut pro, so far so good. The lecturer now wants me to incorporate the powerpoint slides into the film as "pictures within the picture" – i.e instead of cutting between the lecture and the slides both the lecture and the slides should be visible. Again, so far so good, I would just have to edit and match the slides to the lecture footage in a seperate timeline and then incorporate the two in one picture.

However, the lecturer wants this to be a little more fancy and is proposing that the film be interactive so that when the viewer clicks the powerpoint screen this goes from being small to fullscreen, and vice versa. I'm assuming this kind of effect is not available in FCP but needs to be done in flash?

It would be great to get a few pointersfrom someone who has done something like this. Am I on the right track thinking this can be done in flash? Is it going to be very difficult?

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
Re: How to make film interactive?
on Mar 25, 2011 at 12:21:19 pm

It would be possible to do something similar to what you want in Flash, but if you are new to Flash there's a lot to learn. It could be simpler if your Powerpoint images can be still frames.

Your approach might be to build your Flash project, and create an all-but-invisible layer above the video player on your stage. Then for this layer you would need to write script to react to mouse clicks, reading video metadata to establish what part of the video is playing and selecting an appropriate still image to make visible ; the invisible again on next click.

Alternatively you might look at software add-ons to Flash to help :

I don't know any of these products

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved