FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio speed change problem

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Sandwisch
Audio speed change problem
on Feb 22, 2011 at 4:45:09 am

I am trying to edit and mix sound effects and music for a FLASH animation in ProTools. After much trial and error I figured out how to make an accurate Quick Time of my FLASH file to spot sounds to in ProTools. The problem is when I import my audio into FLASH, it speeds up making it out of sync with the picture. I did several tests and it looks like for ever minute of ProTools the audio in FLASH speeds up 2 frames. Both programs are running at 24 FPS.

It is not a NTSC vs Flim speed issue. All other programs read my PT audio file correctly and show it to be the correct length with the SFX where I placed them. FLASH speeds it up, making my animation not time to the music and effects causing me to painfully re-sync all my layers.

How do I accurately export a sound file into an AIFF format and import it into FLASH without FLASH changing the speed? I have my audio set to Stream as it should be. After 3 minutes my audio is 8 frames (1/3 of a second) out of sync with the picture. This is totally unacceptable to me and my client.

I am highly versed in ProTools and other video software but am brand new to flash. Ultimately I want my FLASH timeline to be in sync with my PT timeline. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
Re: Audio speed change problem
on Feb 22, 2011 at 9:18:58 am

Is this a sampling rate issue ? What sampling rate are you using ?

If your file is 48 KHZ you could try it at 44.1 KHz (though isn't this issue fixed now ..? )

Return to posts index

David Sandwisch
Re: Audio speed change problem
on Feb 22, 2011 at 9:29:03 am

Thanks for your thoughts but it isn't a sample rate issue. No matter what sample rate I export the AIFF as, it imports into FLASH wrong equally as much.

Through a lot of experimentation and calculation, I have figured out that FLASH speeds up the audio file by 0.1432% approximately which translates to about 8 frames too fast after 3 minutes which is 1/3 of a second at 24 FPS.

I think this is going to turn out to be a bug but if someone has any settings I should check in FLASH, please let me know. I am extremely well versed in audio, ProTools, film speed vs NTSC speed, pull ups and pull downs. None of those are the issue here.

I am fairly new to FLASH having only started learning it from scratch 12 days ago. My audio is set to Stream correctly in FLASH.

Other ideas?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved