FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black and white effect

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Sandwisch
Black and white effect
on Feb 18, 2011 at 6:34:11 am

Hi again,

I would like to know how to change my movie to black and white for a specific range of frames in the timeline. I have a flashback sequence and would like to use B&W to distinguish it from the present. If I where in After Effects, I'd simply create an adjustment layer, place it over the time span I want, and apply the effect to it so all the layers beneath turn B&W.

I am new to Flash and it perplexes me at how different it is from AE in how you manipulate layers and navigate the timeline. What is the best way to change all the layers to B&W for a given frame range? My B&W sequence has fades on both ends in a fade layer.

I have Flash CS5 on a Mac.

My best guess is to write some sort of action script to affect just those frames since I can't have an adjustment layer similar to AE. Ideas? I know nothing about writing action script.

Thanks,
David

Return to posts index

Brodd Nesset
Re: Black and white effect
on Feb 18, 2011 at 11:50:34 am

You can do this, but the effect you're looking for is placed a little odd perhaps. In the 'color effect' section you'll find Tint and Brightness ... but not Saturation.
In the 'Filters' section you'll find Drop Shadow and stuff like that - and an effect called Adjust Color. This does the Hue & Saturation stuff that you are familiar with from Photoshop, AE & al. B&W is now just a slider away!

Note that any of these effects can only be applied to MovieClips. Not directly to drawings in the Timeline - they must have been made into MovieClips first.
The effects can also be animated in the Timeline just like other properies like position etc.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

Return to posts index

David Sandwisch
on Feb 22, 2011 at 4:40:26 am

Thanks!

How do I get it to affect all the layers in my timeline for just a given range? I don't want to change them all to movie clips just to do this and apply it to every layer.

Should I nest my animation into another timeline? I don't know how to do that in practice, just conceptually. Can you tell me how to take my layer stack and convert it to a movie clip?

Maybe I am lost on how to do this. Ideas? I know very little about FLASH.

Return to posts index

David Sandwisch
on Feb 23, 2011 at 11:49:08 pm

Bump. Can someone give me exact steps on what to select and how to change the timeline to a movie clip? Conceptually I know what the above post wants me to do, I just don't know the exact steps to do it in FLASH.

Thanks,
David

Return to posts index

David Sandwisch
on Feb 24, 2011 at 8:45:51 am

OK I have my exported SWF from my FLA file embedded within a single graphic layer within a moive clip within my master FLA file.

My tree looks like this Master comp-----> Movie clip -----> Graphic symbol and on the only layer in the graphic symbol I imported my SWF so I have a bunch of keyframes.

My graphic symbol layer plays the embedded SWF but the movie clip it's nested in does not. I can change the movie clip to B & W as described above but the animation does not play.

Technically nothing is really animated except when I imported the SWF to the stage it made a keyframe for every frame of the SWF in the graphic symbol layer.

I think I am close to achieving what I want but I need some help figuring out why my animation is stuck on the first frame within the movie clip that is set to B & W.

Thanks,
David

Return to posts index

Brodd Nesset
on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:55:36 pm

Sorry for being late to reply (but this is in the manual too, I think...)

1. Select the portion in the Timeline you want to make into a movieclip by shift-clicking it.

1a A prerequisite for this to work at all, is that all content in all layers you wnat to use for the movieclip is limited by keyframes in both ends. A simple way to make a 'slit' or 'slash' vertically across the timeline is to select a cell at either top or bottom, and shift click to the other end. Then hit the F6 function key. Repeat as needed. You can now move to point 1 above, and select the area between the two stacks of keyframes.

2. Right click in the selected area, and choose 'Copy frames'. Ordinary Ctrl+C won't do it here.
PS: you may want to use 'Cut frames' instead, in your case.

3. De-select.

4. Create a blank Movieclip by hitting F8.

6. Click inside the first cell in the empty Movieclip, righ-click and choose 'Paste frames'. Voila!

7. Move the new Movieclip from the Library, into the area you want to 'process' in the main Timeline. The content you selected in 1. is now independent from other content in that Timeline, and so you can do anything with it, in one operation.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

Return to posts index

David Sandwisch
on Mar 3, 2011 at 5:03:23 am

Hi. Thanks for your thoughts, here is what I did and why that doesn't work.

1. I cut my timeline on all layers needed to be in the flashback for the range of the flashback by selecting the first and last frame of all the layers in the flashback and hit F6 as instructed. I get a bit confused when you say, "select the timeline" because you cannot select a range of the timeline in the frame counting bar at the top of the layer stack. I interpreted that to mean "select the range of frames between the start and end keyframe on each layer." Therefore I have a large area selected encompassing all my layers between the start and end keyframes I made from top to bottom of the layer stack.

Then I cut the frames and they disappeared from my timeline as I expected them to.

Then I deselected everything.

Then I hit F8 and nothing happened.

Then I hit apple F8 because I think you wanted me to INSERT a movie clip as opposed to CONVERT TO SYMBOL which is F8. I can't CONVERT TO SYMBOL if I have nothing selected and since I deselected everything in step 3 of you instructions, F8 did nothing.

So I created a new movie clip via apple F8 and then I selected the first frame and then did the paste frames operation.

This created all the necessary layers and placed all the animation correctly inside the movie clip timeline. I played THAT timeline and everything looks good and moved etc....

Then I got stuck on your step 7. I cannot move the movie clip to the "area you want to 'process' in the main Timeline" because I don't know what that means. Nothing is selected in the main timeline so there is no place for the movie clip to go. I can't drop in on the stage at the correct starting frame earlier. Can you be extra specific with detailed instructions on what you want me to do?

So I interpreted what you wanted me to do and CREATED A NEW LAYER in my main timeline and then selected that and then dropped the movie clip onto the stage. This made my movie clip the entire length of my main timeline, not the range I want to "process". Then I moved the starting keyframe to the frame it should start on and then I inserted a blank keyframe on the last frame I wanted to process. This should make the instance of the movie clip in the main timeline the same length as the animation I cut and pasted into it.

Unfortunately my animation does not play in the main timeline. The movie clip stays frozen on the first frame of the movie clip timeline. Inside the movie clip timeline, everything plays correctly, but not in the MAIN timeline, there it's frozen. I can turn it black and white but I can't see the animation.

The key layer I need to play in the movie clip is a layer in the movie clip timeline where I imported a SWF movie. FLASH made a keyframe on that layer for every frame of the SWF movie so my movie clip timeline has a lot of key frames.

Unfortunately FLASH cannot properly import a SWF and make it look correct. When I play the SWF by itself in a FLASH player, everything looks correct. When I import it, there are gross render errors in the frames. The main character looses the color in his hair for example. It's stupid but if you import the SWF several times, eventually FLASH will import it without any gross render mistakes. Every time you import a SWF into your project, it's different and never matches all the frames exactly.

That import problem aside since I fixed the render errors by copy pasting other layers on top to fix the mistakes, the movie clip does not play in the main timeline. It's frozen on frame 1.

Why is this so difficult in FLASH where as in AE I would have had it done in 1 minute with an adjustment layer?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]