FORUMS: list search recent posts

FLVs play at choppy framerate

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sasha Hussey
FLVs play at choppy framerate
on Jan 16, 2011 at 11:42:41 pm

Hey everyone, thanks in advance for your help!

Basically, I have a lot of FLVs embedded in the one SWF file that contains my entire online portfolio. Recently, (possibly as the main SWF file size has increased to 2.3 MB due to site updates) the FLVs are playing back at a choppier framerate.

For example, if you go to my site: http://www.sashahussey.com/ and click "credits" in the side column, it plays an incomplete clip of what will soon be a reel of my credits sequences.
On the lower-end mac I'm using as well as PCs I've tested it on, it plays back very choppy. Although on faster computers the problem is less noticeable.

But then I created another SWF with *only* that one FLV embedded in it here: http://www.sashahussey.com/test2.html
And that plays back very smoothly, even on those same low-end computers with less RAM.

Right now my entire portfolio is built in one SWF, where the buttons jump to different frames in the same timeline. Is the only way to get around the video framerate problem to create an independent SWF for each page (as I did for that one clip)?. I realize this would be probably better from a design point of view, just in case people try to use their browser's navigation instead of that contained within the SWF itself and accidentally navigate out of the portfolio entirely. But I'm hoping for a less drastic short-term fix since that would require a major re-structuring of my site.

I really appreciate your input!

-Sasha

Return to posts index

Brodd Nesset
Re: FLVs play at choppy framerate
on Jan 17, 2011 at 11:09:44 am

Hi! Your example shows no playback problem at my place. But I do have a pretty strong computer...
- Some earlier version of the Flash Player for the Mac had perforamce problems. Make sure you're testing with the latest one.
- You can increase the buffer size in your video just to be sure. Select the Playback component on Stage, and open the Copmponent inspector in Flash.
- It could even be your service provider. If there's a lot of traffic on its servers, there might be a reasource problem. Right now, it's probably nighttime at your place, and very low traffic; hence it's smooth here.

These are just some suggestion.s

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

Return to posts index

Sasha Hussey
on Jan 19, 2011 at 1:08:32 am

Thanks very much for the input, Brodd.

Yeah I'm using the latest flash player and it happens on PCs also.

The only reason I don't think it's an issue with buffer size or the service provider is because each computer I've tried it on will play the first link I included at a low framerate (ugly) and that same computer will play the second link smoothly.
And it's the same FLV file being referenced by the two different SWFs.

I realize the first link (to the full portfolio site) is a larger SWF (2.3 mb) but once the SWF has loaded up, and since there's no other movement going on while the FLV is playing, why does it lag more than the second link, which is the same FLV embedded in a SWF (tiny file size) I quickly threw together as a test with only that FLV in it?

The FLV loads off the server at the same speed in each case, and even if I wait until it's fully loaded to play it, it's still at a much lower framerate in the first instance.

I know faster computers don't show this problem, but a potential employer asked me if the choppy/jerky animation on my demo reel was intentionally so. :P
So I'm hoping to figure this out.

Any other ideas? Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Sasha Hussey
on Jan 20, 2011 at 8:51:56 pm

I figured it out! In publish settings (under HTML tab) I had the window mode set to "transparent windowless," which I intentionally set that way to have jagged edges to my SWF with a tiling background behind that.

To get the jagged effect that worked great, however it made all the FLVs have lagging framerate on slower computers. So I compromised and settled for straight edges to the SWF (window mode set to "window"). And of course kept the same tiling background. I decided the videos playing smoothly is more important.

Thanks for the input though. Happy 2011 all around!

Return to posts index

Brodd Nesset
on Jan 21, 2011 at 10:25:59 am

Thanks for returning with your find!
Very often, Flash performance problems lies outside of the devolopment tool itself, but we must of course be able to look outside and ralate and act upon these other factors.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]