FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is a good folder structure practice for Flash/AS3 projects?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adi head
What is a good folder structure practice for Flash/AS3 projects?
on Jan 5, 2011 at 10:02:42 pm

Hi. I'd like to understand one or two things about folder structure when working on a Flash/AS3 project.

I've been designing with Flash for some time now, but programming is completely new to me. Before I'd just write bits of simple AS2 code on an actions layer, but now I'm starting to hammer out .as files and custom classes and all that. At first I didn't pay much attention to how I organized things, just as long as they worked, but now I'm realizing two things:
a. Facing larger projects, or projects where more than just one person is involved - it is vital that the folders and files are organized in a way that is familiar (like standard) and easy to understand.
b. I've realized that a custom class I create for one particular project - if I make a point of building it cleverly - can be of use later in a completely different project.

I did some googling and reading. I did learn some. But I still don't get the whole picture.

For example, I've understood that it is common practice to keep all projects in a folder structure that is basically the domain name backwards. So you start of with a folder named 'com'. In that you have the several folders of the different projects (by domain name). So for example when building the website of I would place a folder named samadams in the com folder.

This brings up several questions I couldn't figure out:
1. What about projects that aren't websites and don't have particular domains? Take for example - banner ads, particular flash elements of a website already built, games, applications - should all these somehow be stored in the com folder as well?
2. What about domains that end with .org or .net? Do I need to create a different folder for each suffix?
3. I was recommended a tweening engine called greensock. All the greensock files come in a folder named 'com'! And the instructions say to place that com folder and place it where my FLA file resides. So now there's a different com folder, which is basically in a com folder... I just don't get it.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could take the time and help me make sense of all of this. I'm really interested in any tips on this subject you might have. Please keep in mind that I don't have a programming background. I'm a designer. Not sure if this matters as far as good folder structure, but some of the articles I read on the subject clearly were not for someone like me.

Windows XP 32-bit(Service Pack 3)
2.4 Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
WD ST3320613AS Hard drive 320 GB [SYSTEM DRIVE]
WD ST3500320AS Hard drive 500 GB [WORKING DOCS]
WD WD7500AAKS Hard drive 750 GB [MEDIA STORAGE]

Return to posts index

Blair Broderick
Re: What is a good folder structure practice for Flash/AS3 projects?
on Feb 5, 2014 at 4:43:23 pm

I really wish someone would answer your questions because I'm too confused about using a folder structure for non-website flash elements such as banners and games. Do we use com or is is all optional to the designer? But I think you compile the file into a swf, and thats the file you are using and the folders are squished into that swf file, and if you want to put it on a website, I don't think the website is picky about what the names of folders are, but I could be wrong.

I hope someone can find an answer to this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved