FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Motion vs. After Effects vs. Keynote vs. Flash

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie Vittetoe
Apple Motion vs. After Effects vs. Keynote vs. Flash
on Dec 7, 2010 at 10:30:30 pm

I am doing some research on the best production method for some videos for a few clients. The videos are text heavy, two dimensional, with lots of animation and effects. Similar to these:

I am familiar with Flash, have used Motion a few times, but have never used Keynote or After Effects. This is just a guess, but Flash and Motion will probably be best. After Effects is too complex, and Keynote is too simple.

Does anyone have any suggestions or feedback regarding the capabilities and strengths/weaknesses of each software? Or know of some great comparison charts or resources?

Return to posts index

David Johnson
Re: Apple Motion vs. After Effects vs. Keynote vs. Flash
on Dec 8, 2010 at 3:18:45 am

I would bet that was made in After Effects, although it can be done in Flash or Motion ... Keynote isn't really an option. I've made very many promos like that in AE and it's actually pretty easy since they don't require any of AE's more advanced functions ... I don't think I saw anything other than basic X and Y axis keyframe motion and some blurs. Even so, if you already know Flash, that'll definitely be easier than learning AE just for this ... like Flash, AE isn't the kind of program one learns by just clicking around on a few things.

I doubt any comparison charts for those 4 programs exist since, with the possible/arguable exception of AE and Motion, they do entirely different things even though they do similar things in some cases.

For example, one of the first and main things to consider is what you need to deliver ... if it's truly "video" (for TV, DVD, etc.), AE or Motion will be the best bet ... if it's a web page or web page element/presentation, Flash is the best bet ... if it's a desktop presentation (a la PowerPoint), perhaps Keynote.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved