FORUMS: list search recent posts

Add a simple button behind flash mc button

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve George
Add a simple button behind flash mc button
on Nov 24, 2010 at 4:32:24 pm

Is it possible to add a simple button behind my flash mc buttons (.swf)
If so what is the best way to do this ?

i would like to do this so if a viewers browser doesn't support flash, they can still see my nav buttons.

here is my site
http://www.djstevieg.net/

or is there an IF rule i can add, IF NO FLASH use .jpg or similar ?

buttons were designed in flash cs5,
i'm using dreamweaver cs5 on wxp

Thanks

Stevie

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
Re: Add a simple button behind flash mc button
on Nov 24, 2010 at 4:50:09 pm

you should always put alternate content for non-swf enabled browsers/users.

it becomes real easy if you use swfobject 2 ( now up to 2.2 i believe)

you can use this script generator on bobby vanderluis's site: http://www.bobbyvandersluis.com/swfobject/generator/index.html

this makes it super easy to add alternative content . in the "Alternative content" section, replace the standard ' go get adobe flash player' contnet to your html button code

Return to posts index

Steve George
on Nov 24, 2010 at 6:03:21 pm

This looks like it may do the trick, how do i use it ? how do i insert the alternative images behind the swf files in dreamweaver ?

i am a relative newcomer to web design.

Thanks

Stevie

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on Nov 24, 2010 at 6:15:49 pm

if you go to the link for the swfobject2 generator, look for the section ( the 4th box) in the generator. this is the 'Alternative content' section.

you will place here the code for whatever contnet you want to show if flash can not be played. it can be an image ( inside 'img' tag), text, divs, whatever. you have to design your content as if the swf was not there, and just place all of that code in this alternative content section.

Return to posts index

Steve George
on Nov 24, 2010 at 6:39:56 pm

So i would need to put several images (with links) in place of the flash buttons.
In dreamweaver would i simply place the alternative buttons under the swf buttons ? and they will ONLY be visible if the flash content isn't ?

Thanks for your helpful help

Stevie

Return to posts index

Steve George
on Nov 25, 2010 at 9:18:21 am

Would i need to add the code for each button pointing to a different alternative link ?

Do i leave all the setting as standard apart from the name and size ?

Please advise

Stevie

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on Nov 25, 2010 at 3:51:58 pm

you would set up your file , and code it, as if there was no flash.

make what ever buttons, links, and whatever else you need to enable your visitors to navigate your site as if there was no flash present. this will be your 'alternative content' in case they don't see the flash buttons.

your site's buttons link to other html pages, so that is what your html buttons would like wise link to as well - the same pages and links as do the flash buttons.

quote: " ..Do i leave all the setting as standard apart from the name and size ?.."

if you mean the swfobject2 generator, you can leave everything else as is, but DO add the alternative content.

once generated, the code is for a complete html page. you would only need to copy the div tag inside the body, and don't forget to copy the script tags in the head, and place them in the head of your html page. also you need to have a copy of the swfobject.js javascript file available where you are saying it is. as per the standard code generated, it needs to be in the same locatin as the swf.

hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Steve George
on Nov 25, 2010 at 6:26:35 pm

That sounds like something i can experiment with, Thanks for helping out with me on this and explaining further...

So my will set my home url index.html to open a non flash version of home index.html if there is no flash support. and all the links on that page to other non flash versions of the site.

This will make my url's a bit messy and would mean i need 2 templates in Dreamweaver 1 flash, 1 non. and 2 url's - 1 flash, 1 non.

Is this best practise or would i be better off putting regular alt nav links across the top of my document instead ?

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on Nov 26, 2010 at 4:15:44 am

no, you are not understanding at all. there is no doubling of templates or anything like that at all.

you have a swf, and it is for a button . you need to ALSO add the 'alternative content' code for a non-swf button in the same embed code. using the swfobject generator makes this process almost foolproof. see this image. it is the total code generated for your home button swf -a 185 x 30 swf named 'assets/other/btn_home.swf".

the highlighted code is the most basic html code for a link to your Home page..
if the browser doesn not show the swf, then it will show this code instead.

Return to posts index

Steve George
on Nov 26, 2010 at 12:00:13 pm

Right, . So i don't need to place my alt link within my dreamweaver workspace, i just point it to where my alt link image is stored ?

Thanks very much for your help

Stevie

Return to posts index

Steve George
on Nov 26, 2010 at 2:01:14 pm

Please ignore my last post, i have solved the alt link.

Another problem i am getting now is, when i click on an alternative link, its not sending me to a propper page, its putting internal paths on the end of my current page.

Example:
When my home page is open in alternative to flash mode, if i click the History link my url displays ...stevie/home/history/index.html

Here's my code for the first 2 links

<!-- Next object tag is for non-IE browsers. So hide it from IE using IECC. -->
<!--[if !IE]>-->

<!--<![endif]-->
Home

<!--[if !IE]>-->

<!--<![endif]-->

• <!-- Next object tag is for non-IE browsers. So hide it from IE using IECC. -->
    <!--[if !IE]>-->

<!--<![endif]-->
    History

<!--[if !IE]>-->

<!--<![endif]-->

• How can i fix this please ?

• Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]