FORUMS: list search recent posts

TV spots as .fla files?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Johnson
TV spots as .fla files?
on Nov 9, 2010 at 9:25:05 pm

I'm a video guy who doesn't use Flash beyond delivering some web video as .flv files so I'm looking for opinions specifically from video people who use Flash...

I've got a non-technical person in the middle of communications between me and a semi-technical person looking to post TV spots online. This intermediary is asking me to send the HD TV spots as .fla files, but it's my responsibility to make sure the integrity of the spots isn't compromised any more than necessary.

These are HD TV commercials, not Flash assets, so converting them to .fla sounds like a bad idea ... although I don't use Flash, I'm well versed in video compression/delivery, and know .flv to be the only Flash format suited specifically for video. Any video folks who use Flash who can explain the proper way to deliver HD TV commercials to post online in a Flash player (if not as .flv)? Please also offer the rationale for why .fla may not be the way to go. Or, if it is, how does one convert full-rez 1920x1080 HDTV video into a .fla?

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
Re: TV spots as .fla files?
on Nov 10, 2010 at 9:25:16 am

Yes fla sounds like a very bad idea.

Someone has to compress for final output and it may not be you - but that person should want a high quality video file. Perhaps not an flv - there are those who prefer h264 / mpeg4 encoded into an f4v file - http://www.adobe.com/devnet/f4v.html

You need an exchange file format that works for whoever is going to compress - you could ask for direct contact. If that is the person asking for fla, then you may have to have a discussion.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Nov 11, 2010 at 12:21:29 am

Thanks much, Mike.

I know you're right, but direct contact isn't an option since it would be considered over-complicating a simple need and implying that the intermediary doesn't know something. I think what I'm dealing with is an office assistant who was asked to put the commercials on a website and who discovered .fla as the appropriate thing to ask for via a Google search or similar method.

I do all the video compression since I must accept all responsibility for how posted videos look, sound, etc., yet the folks who post them focus only on file size with total disregard for image and playback quality even though there's practically unlimited server space for the amount of video posted. I typically use the H264 codec and wrap them in FLV files since that's the only file format accepted by the folks who typically do the posting.

I think I'm just going to send H264 FLVs since those seem to work fine for everyone else who wants to post video in a Flash player.

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on Nov 11, 2010 at 12:53:58 am

i have a feeling this person ( the office assistant ) has no idea what a .fla or a .flv is, and just thinks or heard that they need it in 'flash format' or something, and is mistaking a .fla for a .flv

i would go ahead with my plan to deliver a .flv and tell them 'here is the flash video file'

otherwise that is like delivering a layered Illustrator or Photoshop file and all their assets, rather than delivering a flattened .tiff or jpeg or pdf etc. who gives thier client their working files, unless that is the service they are paying for ?

just my 2ยข

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Nov 11, 2010 at 10:20:02 am

Thank you Demetri. I think you're right so I'm going to try that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]