FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flash hates this one particular scene

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emily Carmichael
Flash hates this one particular scene
on Oct 28, 2010 at 9:49:08 pm

So, there's this one scene. When I try to test it, it RELIABLY makes Flash crash. All the other scenes work fine. I've rebooted a few times, and tried trashing my preferences.

The problem started after I added a whole lot of layers to the timeline of that one scene--does Flash hate layers? I merged the layers, but it still crashes. Has it not forgiven me for all the layers?

The layers came from a .psd. Does flash hate .psds? Could the .psd be corrupt? It opens fine in Photoshop.

There are also two layers with multiple sounds on each layer. But the scene was like that before it started crashing.

There are not a lot of movie clips going at once, but there is some frame-by-frame animation with a .png every two or three frames. Can Flash not handle this?

I can play the animation in the timeline just fine.

There are no scripts in the scene to speak of.

Any ideas? This is a program I highly do not understand, so I don't know what the usual suspects might be.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Brodd Nesset
Re: Flash hates this one particular scene
on Oct 29, 2010 at 12:53:39 pm

Flash is not a living thing, and so it has no feelings, like 'hate'. You make me smile - I hope that's ok. Although I DO understand your feeling of frustration - things like these can sometimes be overwhelming - I think/hope you agree that this road or 'concept' at understanding Flash, will probably not be very fruitful in solving problems. You need to be a bit more analytical:
- Save the file under a new name
- Rebuild the file piece by piece (i.e. take out any parts you may suspect are offenders, then reintroduce them one by one. You can right click on Layers and cut away and paste them (note that the keyboard shortcust are different than just Ctrl+X /Ctrl+V for this).
- Certainly your file may be corrupt, and it may still play in well your preview. Then you do need to create a new file. When doing this, in the library, check the 'delete unused elements' - those only add to the filesize.
- Does it crash at every computer, or only yours? Ever so often, it's the grapcics card driver that creates crashes; I've seen this even in music programs. Update the driver.
- Flash can handle an amazing amount of elements, but there's a limit somewhere I'm sure. I don't know where, but I'm quite confident it's beyond sensible. Making 16 pictures fly into the scene is possible for instance. To make room for them, they only need to be like 200 x 150 big. Having 16 pictures fly into the scene and each of them is at its original size of 1200 x 900 and you expect Flash to scale them down, rotate them and add individual alpha blending all in smooth realtime ... can be beyond sensible. Just an example. With a juicy CPU even that scenario is possible.
- Does the sounds somehow re-trigger? Or even other elemets, i.e. is there a loop? If you unintentionally have added hundres of sound instances within a few seconds, Flash may certainly crash.
- And so on...

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved