FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bright sixth-grader and budding Flash-whiz in search of Adobe CS4

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Delwiche
Bright sixth-grader and budding Flash-whiz in search of Adobe CS4
on Oct 28, 2010 at 6:37:16 pm

Hi,

I'm a college professor who is fortunate enough to work at an institution that can afford a lab site license for the Adobe Creative Suite. I've been spoiled over the years, and stopped paying attention to how much this software costs. As you know, it's not cheap.

Yesterday, a friend of a friend introduced me to their super bright son. He's a sixth grader. His intelligence is off the charts, and he's particularly intrigued by math, web design and other forms of computer coding. Unfortunately, the schools just aren't designed for people like him. He's bored to tears.

This kid sat down at one of our lab computers, fired up Flash and immediately started putting the program through its paces. Within moments, objects were spinning and reacting to event triggers. His Mom marveled at what he had managed to accomplish so quickly, and asked where he learned how to do it.

"We used to have it on our computer," he said.

And then it hit me.

"Wait a second. You *used* to have it?" I asked. "What happened? Why don't you have it any more?"

He explained that he had downloaded the trial version and it had expired after thirty days.

"There must be an educational version of Creative Studio available," I said. We did some Google searching, clicked on a few links, and were excited to see that educational versions came with an 80% discount. Then, we realized that an 80% discount was *still* $895.

Someone in the lab might have mentioned that -- in theory -- one could restore their computer every thirty days and reinstall the trial version. Without blinking, this kid said "But isn't that just ripping off Adobe? That's not fair."

He had a point.

So... I'm coming to this forum of Flash Developers and asking if anyone might have an old, legal copy of CS4 that they no longer need. I would be happy to cover any shipping costs.

I'm sure this seems like a weird request, but I can assure you that this is not a bogus story. If anyone follows up, I'd be happy to chat with you on the phone to give you more context and legitimizing details.

It was gut-wrenching to watch this kid sailing through Flash and knowing that he couldn't afford to buy access to the creative tools. I know that Adobe is doing their best to make the product accessible to as wide a group of people as possible.

Thanks in advance for considering this message.
Aaron

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
Re: Bright sixth-grader and budding Flash-whiz in search of Adobe CS4
on Oct 28, 2010 at 7:05:49 pm

If the kid is genuinely as you describe, he might consider getting into the entirely free worlds of ajax http://www.w3schools.com/ajax/default.asp - if he's very web oriented - or, equally progressively for the longer term, Java. http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

Java is free to download, has excellent tools for all kinds of things (including graphics) remains cross platform to date (though there are issues), and is seen as a solid programming background for someone looking for an eventual career in software. For what it's worth, there's a choice of free and excellent IDEs - integrated development environments - though some prefer Eclipse to the more Java-native Netbeans.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Aaron Delwiche
on Oct 28, 2010 at 7:09:11 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Mike! He mentioned that he's been using the W3schools resources, and he's taught himself a bit of Jquery and basic AJAX with the use of the W3C pages.

Return to posts index

Clint Milner
on Nov 1, 2010 at 5:17:20 pm

Hi Aaron,

This might be helpful:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet-archive/flex/free/

Flex / Flash Builder compiles AS3 just fine and as most 6th graders are unemployed, I think this is okay.

Clint

Adobe CS4 Master Suite
Vista Ultimate 64 SP1
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.60GHz
12 GB DDR3 RAM
NVidia Quadro FX 3700
Matrox RT.X2 LE Capture Card
4 TB RAID 5

Return to posts index

Aaron Delwiche
on Nov 1, 2010 at 5:30:23 pm

Hi,

This looks great. Thanks for the tip! I searched for a bit more information, and it looks like this will be perfect.

Just out of curiosity, most of the screenshots show the IDE. Does this kit also include the GUI for playing with the non-Actionscript components of Flash? I'm trying to figure out the proper term for referring to everything in Flash that isn't Actionscript (e.g. the sprites, the timeline tools, etc.).

Thanks again!

Aaron

Return to posts index

Clint Milner
on Nov 2, 2010 at 8:57:26 am

Hi Aaron,

Yeah, (Flex) Flash Builder is just for Action Script 3 and MXML. There is a design view, but it doesn't have a timeline and GUI like Flash does.

From what you said above you only mentioned the coding side of things, so my mind thought of this. I'm unaware of any way to get the Flash authoring tool.

I can't speak for Adobe or its employees, but most of the Adobe Flash Evanglists seem very cool and they might be able to hook something up for you. Lee Brimelow at gotoandlearn.com and theflashblog.com could be a good start.

I wish I had the technologies I'm working with now when I was in the 6th grade!

Good Luck,
Clint

Adobe CS4 Master Suite
Vista Ultimate 64 SP1
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.60GHz
12 GB DDR3 RAM
NVidia Quadro FX 3700
Matrox RT.X2 LE Capture Card
4 TB RAID 5

Return to posts index

Aaron Delwiche
on Nov 2, 2010 at 12:16:31 pm

Thank you for the help, Clint!

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on Oct 28, 2010 at 7:07:07 pm

if it's Flash he's after, you don't need to buy a whole creative suite package. Adobe sells standalone Flash Professional CS5 for $699 and it sells a student/teacher edition of this for just $179
or check out TechSoup if you or they are part of a non-profit organization...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]