FORUMS: list search recent posts

FLV files too large for player

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kevin johnson
FLV files too large for player
on Oct 21, 2010 at 10:01:39 pm

Please Help... so after creating FLV files, I found that watching them through a flash player takes way too long to load and view. The original .mov files were about 20 gb's (30min HDV footage). And the FLV files after being encoded through adobe media encoder come to about 900 mb.

It appears the only way to get the file size down significantly more is at the cost of quality by lowering the bitrate. I'm trying to get the highest quality for fullscreen viewing on a website without it taking minutes to first load.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

- Kevin

Return to posts index

Brodd Nesset
Re: FLV files too large for player
on Oct 22, 2010 at 12:42:18 pm

Hi! First: HDV is already a pretty effecient compression, and it's no wonder you can't work wonders on that ('pun' intended). Also, as far as i know, HDV is not concidered to be a format well suited for further compression, since it adds artefacts and stuff that will only makes things difficult for the next compression engine.
Second: What is 'fullscreen' anyway? I think you'll see that often it is scaled up videos and not 'one video pixel per screen pixel'. For instance, video at 800 original width at good quality is likely to look good on a screen at 1200 width. Interestingly, many HDV cameras have a lower optical resolution than what they put on that tape; i.e in HDV, many pixels are interpolated already. By scaling it down a bit, you are in a way 'taking it back' to the optical resolution is was filmed at. Undoing the cheat, so to speak. The thing is, interpolated pixels (aka faux pixels) can look great, proved by for instance the classic Panasonic HVX200 camera which 'everyone' knows has an actual resolution below 900 (horizontal), but is still being used on thousands of HD shows due to it's great picture. Getting carried away here, but:
I'd try taking a couple of minutes of your video and bringing the rez down to say 800 or 900. Set compression to 600 kbps. This will give you 75 kilobytes per second, circa 4.5 Mb per minute, and 135 Mb for 30 minutes.
I usually makes vides a little smaller than this, and frequently set compression rate below 400 even (it depends on the material - lots of movement is always a challenge). I think it looks good, and: it can be scaled up 50% and still look fine. Not super crisp. For this you need the equivalent of Blu-ray, which has a bitrate well above these settings; around 30 mbps, that is 30000 kbps.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]