FORUMS: list search recent posts

FLV onlinr problem

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jimena aznar
FLV onlinr problem
on Oct 13, 2010 at 12:57:30 am

Hi all! i'm new here but i've seen that you know a lot!!!!

i'm a newb, so, bare with me here!!!

i'm building a flash website in as2, where i have several flv's for the transitions from section to section, streaming through NetStream (they where .swf that needed to be videos since they have to have sound and be in sync in every single browser).

i managed to preload them into the user's cache, so they 'would play smoothly'.

i have been working on this for almost 2 weeks and i am still having problems with how the flv's look online:

• i have tried almost every setting possible into converting my .mov into .flv (specially the kilobits per second), but it's not working at all, it's really bumpy, looks very slow (this doesn't happen offline when looking just at the flv's).

• i have also tried loading them from an external swf, but the problem with how the flv looks like is still there, so i understand that the problem relies on how the settings of my flv's are.

please help me! i don't know what to do :( ...
do i need to re-do the .mov and there change the bitrate and then convert them to flv's?
if so, what settings would work best? my files are 920 x 660 and cannot change the ratio.

any type of help is greatly appreciated!!!

PS every file has the same framerate :) and i cannot send a link because of privacy issues.

Return to posts index

Brodd Nesset
Re: FLV onlinr problem
on Oct 13, 2010 at 7:52:47 am

920 x 660 is pretty big, but it depends on the connection, and even on the computers people have. In a modern office network, the capacity shouldn't be a problem, but on home DSLs it can actually be.
Your frame size is bigger than full size standard definition video (720 x 512 in PAL, even smaller for NTSC). Publishing and viewing that on ordinary networks and computers was science fiction not many years ago, and maybe you're expecting too much?
Please check that there is no scaling or things involved at runtime. Scaling down video (it's taller than some laptops can handle, for instance) will but a big load on the CPU, and artefacts like you describe can appear.
I've never posted video wider than 640 myself, but I've been able to make it appear smooth and fine with a KBPS as low as 400 - including audio. I did my work in After Effects.
This is more of a video compression issue than a Flash issue, so perhaps you should visit the AE forum as well?

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

Return to posts index

jimena aznar
on Oct 13, 2010 at 8:20:36 am

but then how do they do it for film websites?
like watchmen or inception where they have almost full screen video in between sections and it runs perfectly (and i've looked into the watchmen, it doesn't have resize window or anything, but the quality of the video is fantastic!)

thanks for your reply! loved the sience fiction bit!! haha i know.

Return to posts index

Brodd Nesset
on Oct 14, 2010 at 7:18:48 am

"but then how do they do it for film websites?"

Well, there are at least two factors here:

1. There is "compression" like we do in Flash and After Effects etc. by us 'mere mortals', and then there's compression done by the pros. Our stock tools does a great job indeed, but to squeeze the extra 10-20% quality out of it you may need extra stuff (for instance bit-monitoring to be able to tweak compression in certain bottlenecks), special settings obtained from long lab tests, and not least experience, experience and experience.

2. Distribution. If you're serious about video you'd use a dedicated media server insted of your ordinary webserver. For instance there is the Flash Media Server which I believe is popular for websites with a traffic above a certain level. This software will push the content in a more even stream than a vanilla webserver can. I think I've heard that you can actually rent this as a service; i.e. if you have a handful of large videos like yours, you can deliver them to a media server hosting service, and link up to them for that content only.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved