FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing video source outside swf file

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Brown
Changing video source outside swf file
on Oct 11, 2010 at 11:04:19 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been looking for two days straight on how to do this, and I can't seem to find anywhere to start....

I have created a simple video player within my flash project (actionscript 3, CS5). It works great, and plays MP4 video that I link within Adobe Flash. However, I need to change the video source of the player outside of the swf, preferably with HTML, PHP, or java-script.

This would work a lot like the cookie cutter flash players that can be downloaded, embedded, and then passed a parameter from HTML with the video source location. None of the pre-built players online work really well for what I need.

Any help or recommendation on how to go about accomplishing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :-)

Return to posts index

Brodd Nesset
Re: Changing video source outside swf file
on Oct 12, 2010 at 7:21:34 am

- Create a 'myURL' string variable.
- Fetch the content of 'myURL' (the actual URL of the video) with JavaScript or FlashVars embedded in the HTML.
- With scripting, you can override the source URL set with the Playback Component, and set it it 'myURL' instead.

Here's a source I found for JavaScript <-> Flash intercommunication.

You don't need to use buttons / interactivity of course; just call the JavaScript like suggested. This is one of the simplest (in a positive sense!) variations I've seen.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved