FORUMS: list search recent posts

Auto Generate flash content

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Radtke
Auto Generate flash content
on Sep 11, 2010 at 7:43:20 pm

Hello All,

I am... sorta new to flash. I have worked with animation in flash before but not AS, though I do have a fair amount of experience with various other coding languages here and there but simply haven't spent time with AS.

What I would like to try is to have a script that generates a duplicate of a movie symbol I've already created including its animations and scripting (rollover and button commands). It would do this for every item saved within a specific folder.

A photo gallery, for instance, that I could update simply by putting the appropriately sized photo within a folder on the server, and thus the flash site would update automatically. This way I wouldn't have to keep manually copying/pasting and rendering the site for every little update.

Is there a way to do this? What are the commands? Please Help!

Again, while I'm new to AS I'm not new to codes and logic in general so I think I'll get whatever you throw at me

Thanks!
Jared

Return to posts index

Brodd Nesset
Re: Auto Generate flash content
on Sep 13, 2010 at 8:15:40 am

Hi! To my knowledge (and this is a disclaimer!) there is no way Flash can access a folder on a server; not even for counting how many items there are in it. It's a security thing. You do need to run a server side 'thing' which can count the photos in your case, and update a value within a JavaScript snippet on the page containg your Flash creation. Flash can then read this value, and indeed auto generate new items as you describe. AddChild() is the method you'll use then.

B

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

Return to posts index

Jared Radtke
on Sep 13, 2010 at 3:06:40 pm

Oh I didn't mean to look at a remote server folder. All I meant was for it to reference a folder within the area that it's saved - the same way a HTML page looks up images.

I have seen tutorials on how to load and import images and swf's into your current flash project, so I know it can do that. Now it's a matter of loading the image, duping the symbol and its AS and inserting the image in a place holder.

whew! that's alot of work but I think it will make it easier for me in the long run in terms of time (site will be around for a long time and knowing this will make future versions even easier). I will be using this for photo slideshows, video pages, RSS feed updates, etc. So learning the feature once will have continuing increasing returns.

thx again!

Return to posts index

Brodd Nesset
on Sep 14, 2010 at 7:09:30 am

But: I think "the same folder" is indeed a server folder (it doesn't need to be 'remote').
What you could do is to load the pictures by the number, and then when the loading procedure encountered an error (i.e. no picture by that name), the procedure would stop, and proceed to displaying the pictures loaded.
For this to work at all, you'd need to follow a strict naming scehme when uploading the pictures, i.e. 001.jpg, 002.jpg, 003.jpg etc. When Flash tries to load picture 032.jpg, but you only have 31 items in your folder, the application will stop loadeing.
Kinda hackish, but it is a solution?

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]