FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting Gigantic Flash File Issue

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
helen fong
Exporting Gigantic Flash File Issue
on Sep 5, 2010 at 3:10:32 pm

hello. i'm running flash CS3 on a 2.8 GHz quad core mac with 6 GB of RAM. i am trying to export a gigantic flash file as a quicktime. this is a 6 minute video with many JPEGs so the actual flash file is about 900 MB. my computer's drive has about 40 GB of free space. when i have tried to export even a small and poor quality quicktime with no sound, it tells me that the computer has run out of memory and couldn't complete the task..."the export operation failed because it ran out of memory". really small and really bad has worked a few times, but i need a nice large high quality copy. i tried moving the job to another drive in my computer which had 200 GB of free space but it said the same thing. in my quicktime export options i did tell it to store temp data on disk (tried both 40 GB and 200 GB drives as place to store) rather than "in memory". otherwise i am unsure what i can try. i might resort to exporting a SWF file (which might be about 300 MB) and importing that into after effects to make a quicktime. are there other things i can try in flash to make this work? would a more recent version of flash maybe help? thank you for any assistance. my other programs are all out of date if this might be a factor. my quicktime pro, for instance. do i really need more memory free to complete my task?

Return to posts index

helen fong
Re: Exporting Gigantic Flash File Issue
on Sep 5, 2010 at 7:24:12 pm

please let me add that now rather than getting an error, flash is just crashing during the export process every time.

Return to posts index

Jen deHaan
Re: Exporting Gigantic Flash File Issue
on Sep 17, 2010 at 12:27:20 am

Hi there,

This isn't hard drive space, but instead the amount of private working set memory. Flash will be able to use so much of this memory (which varies depending on your RAM) before it runs out. But throwing more RAM at Flash only helps to a certain extent - generally you'll just get over a gigs worth no matter the amount of RAM you have. You sometimes get an error, sometimes not. Memory is used up doing a variety of things, such as copy/paste, scrubbing, exporting, and so on.

So if you're exporting, the best you can do without changing your current FLA is to restart Flash and export as the first thing you do. If that doesn't work, you will need to change your FLA (for example, by splitting it up into multiple FLAs and stringing together your SWFs, or reducing your assets, or changing the way they work - such as load some in).

Hope this helps.

-----
Jen
http://www.flashthusiast.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]