FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flash video popup on page

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Gonzales
Flash video popup on page
on Jun 3, 2010 at 8:47:47 pm

I'm building an HTML sight in Dreamweaver cs4 on a mac. I want to use flash video to show off my work. But when you click on the icon to see a video I don't want the video to open in another page nor do i want to embed it which takes up a ton of space.

I want it to appear over the current page. Something similar to this.

It doesn't have to be exactly like that but similar. Are there any good tutorials for this and what is this exactly called? I have Lynda but don't know what I'm searching for.

Any direction would be great.

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
Re: Flash video popup on page
on Jun 4, 2010 at 8:17:22 am

You can create a named div in your page, which holds your player, and use css and javascript to make it appear / disappear. There's an explanation at though I haven't tested this it looks good to go. You just need to make sure the name you use for your div is the same one in your code.

I use a similar approach on my page about when and whether clients might consider diy video, at The last line on the page should open / close a text div. You could use source view and use that code if you wanted.

Of course you could float this div and size it if you want.

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
on Jun 4, 2010 at 11:14:34 am

Or this one may take you a little closer to where you want to go

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on Jun 4, 2010 at 7:06:19 pm

what i see there is what is know as a 'Lightbox' effect for a gallery of images, video etc.
you can google 'lightbox gallery' and come up with a ton of choices - people willing to sell your their compoents.

or you could make it yourself. not all that difficult in Flash.

but if you need it in html and just want the flash for the video then you can like wise get components built in ajax/java/dhtml (whatever the current acronyms are)

or you could do it yourself - much harder, in my opinion, doing it in java etc than in Flahs, but of course it can be done. or likewise do as Mike has suggested and put your flash video in a div that will be maanipulated in java + css.

that discussion is probably more appropriate in the Dreamweaver forum. i am going to start a new link there to continue this discussion, as i'd like to show you that it can be done also utilizing an animated slider, which is a nice 'flash-like' effect.

i will post an example there and if you want more info, we can talk about it in that forum

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved