FORUMS: list search recent posts

When Is Flash TOO Flashy for a Website?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lillian Young
When Is Flash TOO Flashy for a Website?
on May 28, 2010 at 6:28:09 am

I am wowed by the "Flashy" web templates at I am using one of their components for video, and want to use one more for a gallery.

However, I am hesitant when it comes to having a 100% Flash site vs. one with Flash elements.

In a bad economy, I'm thinking that the wow factor of their templates will stand out. This site in particular is NIIICE!

But the cons are that it's all Flash, people with Apple devices can't see it, and it's...a template. I like designing my own websites, but I'm not as good as they are.

What's your opinion? My current site looks cool. I made it in Dreamweaver, it has only one Flash item and a H.264 video to compensate for non-Flash devices.

I'm thinking of maybe buying their template for a separate domain, like selling things.

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
Re: When Is Flash TOO Flashy for a Website?
on May 30, 2010 at 9:26:27 am

Interesting questions.

You know that Flash divides opinion.

Many from the usability and standards-aware end of the web industry find that some Flash implementations work against users, not for them, that many Flash-based sites do not comply with web standards, and many do not meet accessibility requirements.

Most of these issues, of course, could be worked around.

And of course Flash is just a tool ; you don't need it for design that's beautiful to you, and works for your users.

So who is your site for ..? What range of devices might your users want to view it on? What do you want them to take from your site, or be able to do on it? What tools and technologies best make those things possible, against your range of target platforms ..?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved