FORUMS: list search recent posts

Better to load videos into Netstream object or use gotoandStop?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Brame
Better to load videos into Netstream object or use gotoandStop?
on Mar 27, 2010 at 5:50:12 pm

I don't have the AS3 knowledge required to quickly create a custom menu system to play several videos in an FLVPlayback component or a Netstream object, so I'm relegated to using some of the canned ones, or a 'menu maker'. Trouble is, most,or all of these are set up to use an XML file to set the actions for each menu item, and they are usually limited to gotoandStop, or gotoandPlay. So, I'm looking at using these menus, and simply having an instance of my video player at different frames, each loaded with it's own video, and using the menu to jump to each frame.

What I'm wondering is, what are the ramifications of doing it this way, rather than having one player, and using the menu buttons to dynamically load the FLV's OR MP4's? I've worked hard to try to be able to limit my movies to a single frame and use AS to run everything. This seems like a giant step backward.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions
VODSouth

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
Re: Better to load videos into Netstream object of use gotoandStop
on Mar 30, 2010 at 2:08:37 am

it IS a step backward. don't do it !

if you have already been working at keeping your movies to 1 frame, AND you know how to build a menu to navigate to other frames, then you already know how to keep this project to 1 frame, by just loading in the videos as needed upon button clicks. this will be easy.

in your button functions, instead of navigating to other frames, just change the source of the video component/netstream.

let's say you are using a flv playback component with an instance name of, say "videoPlayer"

then inside your button functions you say:

videoPlayer.source="myVideo.flv"; to keep swapping out whichever video you want.

does that make sense ?

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Mar 30, 2010 at 12:55:31 pm

As I said, the AS used to change out the videos isn't my issue. I've been doing that for years. My issues is having to build a nice looking custom 2-level drop down or accordion menu quickly to attach this AS to.

But I've found my answer...

Putting individual videos on frames and using gotoandWhatever BAD!

Loading videos into player with actionscript GOOD!

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions
VODSouth

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on Mar 30, 2010 at 1:09:18 pm

Ahh..

i must have misunderstood - sorry. i didn't realize it was a nice looking custom 2-level drop down or accordion menu that you were seeking.

glad to know you got your answer !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]