FORUMS: list search recent posts

how can I reduce file size of this?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mary Waitrovich
how can I reduce file size of this?
on Mar 18, 2010 at 9:41:50 pm

http://www.mediaplusyou.com/test/pbg3.html

I made this web banner in AE with 232 separate AE text layers. .swf file exported from AE is 2 MB. .flv rendered from AE is only a little better: 1.6 MB. It seems this is too big for a website banner.

If I import the AE .swf into Flash, it creates over 1,700 separate symbols and the published .swf is 2.1 MB (even with "compress movie" checked in the publish settings).

I thought I might do better than this, size wise, since everything in the project is a vector text element. I did import the layers from Photoshop text, but I converted to AE editable text layers.

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have to reduce my file size.
(cross posting in AE and Flash forums)

Thanks much,

Mary Waitrovich
Media Plus You, LCC

Return to posts index

Brodd Nesset
Re: how can I reduce file size of this?
on Mar 19, 2010 at 9:26:29 am

For a really small file size this should be created in Flash from scratch. If used scripting in AE to create this, I guess quite a bit of logic could be transferred.

Vector graphics are small, but they to contain data. Since every element here is made unique, it adds up. The 'error' here as I see it, is that they shouldn't have been made unique. Most of the text elements share the same font and look - only the color and actual words are different. This means that you could use ONE 'text' object with a shared font and look, and then add colour, placement and even the actual text as properties on to unique instances of that object at runtime. Could bring the SWF down to 20 kb, and it would look really sharp too. Only the objects needed are stored in the file; here a couple of unique text 'looks'. The 200-300 text elements are unique variations on these, created at runtime by scripting. They will look sharp since there's no need to compress these graphics - they are created at the local computer.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

Return to posts index

Mary Waitrovich
on Mar 19, 2010 at 5:13:18 pm

Brodd,
I very much appreciate this advice and I have a few followup questions. Would you do this by dynamically adding an array of text boxes, and filling and positioning them from an XML database? If not what method would you use? I'm searching for tutorials to get me started with this and would appreciate any references you might have.

Also, the middle of the animation features the first set of words exploding - what method would you use to recreate this with actionscript?

thanks much,

Mary Waitrovich
Media Plus You, LCC

Return to posts index

Brodd Nesset
on Mar 24, 2010 at 7:26:23 am

Hi! Been very busy last few days. I'll post an example soon...

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

Return to posts index

Mary Waitrovich
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:38:11 pm

I've experimented quite a bit with this since my last post. I figured out how to start creating the first part with actionscript by putting the words in an array like this:

var words:Array = new Array("feisty","catty","dumb","false");
var counter:uint = 0;
function addWords(evt:Event):void {
var txt:TextField = new TextField();
txt.text= words[counter];
var format:TextFormat = new TextFormat();
format.color = 0x2F55EA;
format.font = "Arial";
format.size = 18;
txt.setTextFormat(format);
txt.x=Math.random()*stage.stageWidth;
txt.y=Math.random()*stage.stageHeight;
addChild(txt);
counter += 1;
if(counter == words.length){
stage.removeEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, addWords);
}
}
stage.addEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, addWords);

However, I got stuck on how to place them exactly because I can't just place them randomly.
Then, I don't know how to create the explosion effect. It would be enough to just make all the textfields on the stage fly off in random directions.
This is probably simple but another thing that stumped me was how to replace one set of text fields with another because when I removed all the children, I couldn't seem to add new ones.

Anyway, thanks.

Mary Waitrovich
Media Plus You, LCC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]