FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cannot add points to bulleted list?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Ferran
Cannot add points to bulleted list?
on Mar 12, 2010 at 1:27:30 am

I have this bulleted list, when I click into it I can change the text, but the text for all of the bullets changes, if I try and add a bullet, it mimics the previous one. I am very new to Flash and just trying to get a template working and off to a friend, I had it somewhat working before, where I already had about 4-5 bullets that I could change, but I ran out and needed to add some, thats when the problem started. So I'm assuming I need a better way to add bullets, can anyone please help me out? thanks

Charles Ferran
845-699-5270
http://www.charlesferran.com

"Far better is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with the poor spirits who neither enjoy much, nor suffer much because they live in a gray twilight that knows no victory or defeat."

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Brodd Nesset
Re: Cannot add points to bulleted list?
on Mar 12, 2010 at 11:27:27 am

Hello!
My guess is that you are using the same MovieClip ("bullet") for all your bullets. When you doubleclick into one of them, you change the text for all, quite naturally actually...

Several ways to deal with this:

• Make sure you have unique copies of the 'master' MovieClip in the Library! Then drag each onto the Stage. I.e. never use one MovieClip more than once. With many bulletpoints the Library becomes huge and easily messy - and if you want to change the design for them at some point, you must open each and every one.

• Make only the bulletpoint itself as a MovieClip (or indeed just a simple Graphic type symbol instead). Flash text doesn't support bulletpoints à la Word/PowerPoint etc. nativly (...you may actually expect this to change soon with the realease of CS5...), so for now you must cheat. This is a common cheat. Meaning you write the text 'plain' in a textfield, and then add copies of the bullet symbol manually later.

• Flash text actually supports some HTML formatting! Even CSS!! Including bulletpoints. This is an exciting area for professional text handling. It requires a little scripting: myTextField.htmltext = (HTML goes here) instead of myTextField.text = "Hello!". If HTML is alien to you, it may not be worth it.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

Return to posts index

Charles Ferran
Re: Cannot add points to bulleted list?
on Mar 12, 2010 at 12:24:09 pm

thank you so much for your response!!! I will try these things when I get home tonight, I wish I had the motivation behind Flash that you have, I'm usually a video editor, thats my passion :) but I'm doing this for a friend and that one Flash class in college isn't taking me too far, thanks again for your awesome response!

Charles Ferran
845-699-5270
http://www.charlesferran.com

"Far better is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with the poor spirits who neither enjoy much, nor suffer much because they live in a gray twilight that knows no victory or defeat."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]