FORUMS: list search recent posts

Text in a image not moving smoothly - rippling effect

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachel Knight
Text in a image not moving smoothly - rippling effect
on Mar 11, 2010 at 9:50:01 am

Hello,

I'm very much a newbie to Flash and can only do timeline based things.

I'm creating very simple info graphics which needs to show a text spread from a book. I have imported the spread as a jpeg, png, gif, and eps and i am still getting the same effect that I don't want! The image of the text seems to ripple as it moves. It's not smooth.

The frame rate is 24fps so I don't think this is the problem, as the text before the book spread moves smoothly.

I have a link to it here to show what I mean.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1256758/test.swf

I hope someone can help!

Thank you in advance

Return to posts index

cow
Brodd Nesset
Re: Text in a image not moving smoothly - rippling effect
on Mar 16, 2010 at 9:42:39 am

Any image you want to animate smoothly needs to have its 'smoothing' property set to ON. This is not the default! You need to set it manually for each image, f.i. right click on each image in the Library and select Properties. The reason it is not the standard setting is because it requires more CPU. So: on a not-so-strong computer you may have a smooth animation, but probably slower than what you have intended. It's the tradeoff.

In your example it appears that the jpgs are zoomed to well over 100% too. I am not sure this is optimal...

For a smooth animation like this I would:
- Ensure each bitmap's smoothing property is set to ON
- When intended for reading while scrolling (not a zoom-in effect), I'd keep the size at exactly 100%.
- Use scripted animation instead of Timeline animation.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

Return to posts index

Rachel Knight
Re: Text in a image not moving smoothly - rippling effect
on Mar 16, 2010 at 3:20:59 pm

Hi,

Thank you very much for the reply. I tried it and it worked!
thats great! thanks again!

Rachel

p.s I just tried to rate your reply and as i'm new to all this, I clicked on the wrong one, I meant to click 5 cows rating not 1! sorry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]